New sail (variant #1)

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
maRaider

New sail (variant #1)

Post by maRaider »

So, since my mast bent, I have been toying with various new rigging ideas and using it as an excuse to experiment. My first ever effort at building my own rig borrowed (stole shamelessly) from my only real background with sailing: sunfish. I chose to build a lateen rig because I understand it well enough to know if it is working right once I get on the water.

So here's me with a sunfish-style lateen, scooting around the lagoon near my house.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1052962270 ... 1785006114

It was slow going at 2 knots, then when the wind picked up to just 4 knots (after my wife was on-board and no more pics were coming) it was really able to move. The sail is about 80% of the square footage of the original sail, just shorter and wider, so it can really move. It also points very close to the wind.

In sadder news, the guy who sold it to me either got conned or conned me. Either way, there is a non-trivial hole in the bottom which was painted over. Looks like someone ran it onto a rock then painted it. the "fix" lasted just long enough to be on the water about an hour.

At any rate, looks like I get to learn about fixing hulls! Since I bought the boat to learn as much as I can about boat maintenance and repair prior to building my own, this is actually just another opportunity to learn. I have some resin and will start glassing next weekend.
Man-O-War - 15
"Dreams"
maRaider

Post by maRaider »

A quick note: this is my prototype only. I have nothing against polytarp sails, but since this works well enough to teach my kids to sail with this rig, I will make real sails and focus more on making the wing shape more accurate. I have some dacron on order, my wife is a keen hand with a sewing machine, and she's agreed to help me.
Man-O-War - 15
"Dreams"
monty

Post by monty »

I think I recognize the lagoon - you launched near the tennis courts off Shell Blvd.?
Messing About
78 C26D (I added the 'D' cause it's got the Volvo diesel!) #490
maRaider

Post by maRaider »

Indeed! Such a great place to try a new, small boat!
Man-O-War - 15
"Dreams"
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Nice jobe getting her back on the water! A lot of folks would have surrendered and dumped the boat!

A lateen sail is a very stable and simple design! Good choice for your young ones!!

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

"At any rate, looks like I get to learn about fixing hulls! "

I had a great link on this subject and of course can't find it right now.

At any rate, the Coronado 15 had a 4" hole in it caused by bouncing on a bunk during Gustav. As best as I can describe the repair, it consisted of starting the repair from the inside, but of course I couldn't get inside that small hull, and there was no good place to cut an access plate..

So - I cut a piece of cardboard a few inches larger than the hole, poked a small hole in the middle, and tied a long string to that..

Next I lay the cardboard down (string side up) and started laying up mat and cloth on it, wetting each layer as I went, etc.

Once that is done enough to be sturdy but flexible, and is dry, you can reach in the hole, if you can, sand a bit, and wet the area around the hole with resin, and then stuff the flexible carboard backed buildup you made in the hole, let it open back up flat, and pull it tight against the inside of the hull with the string.

After that is dry, the leak is gone, you have a good solid patch on the inside and you can continue the repair on the surface side..(in my case I had the original piece of hull, and was able to epoxy it back in place against the inside patch and paint..)
maRaider

Post by maRaider »

Outstanding! That makes it very similar to drywall repair (which I *do* understand) so I should be able to actually do this well. I was concerned that I would have to do some arcane rituals involving marine-epoxy-putty and chicken sacrifice (well, not so much sacrificed as grilled on the porch next to my boat while the epoxy cured).

Thanks for the tip!
Man-O-War - 15
"Dreams"
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

maRaider wrote:Outstanding! That makes it very similar to drywall repair
Exactly like drywall repair, yes. Just be sure to use the right type of resin - there's poly and there's epoxy. Here's a handy tip from Don Casey

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/TipResins.htm
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

Like your sail & experimentation. My first impression is that it's smaller in porportion than the lateen I had on my 14' sunfishish boat. I have no idea of the make. Bought it from a friend in pieces for $40 because it wouldn't come about. Turns out the dagger board hole was never sealed. My father-in-law & I fixed it and had a blast with it.
Tranquil Chaos
cs3079
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cs3079 »

Nice sail setup maRaider. You and your kids will have a riot on that boat. btw, the joke's on the original owner. I repaired a hole on the hull of my O'Day Widgeon and it was an easy fix even done the right way! The good thing about hull bottom hole repairs is all they have to do is work! not match perfectly too. I used West System expoxy (better for below waterline repair than poly) and it worked out great! Here's a very short how to video that I used to guide me. I also used Visqueen to cover the patch until it cured instead peel ply because is was in the garage and it worked out very well. Good Luck

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/repairing- ... laminates/

here's more repair tips from my buddy Don Casey
http://www.boatus.com/boattech/howto_lib.htm
Bruce
Chry Wndw Shopping/'69 Newport H-20
Poupon Me!
Ray Twp., MI
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/65343255@N06/
Vids: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL60647F9C03EAE28A

I want a boat that drinks 6, eats 4, and sleeps 2.
- Earnest K. Gann
David Anthony

Furler

Post by David Anthony »

I have asked Santa to bring me a jib furler for Christmas. I am considering either CDI or Hood. Anyone have experience with either?