Towing

Post All Trailering Topics Here
mariner

Towing

Post by mariner »

Looks like I might be getting a new vehicle, if so I would not mind getting something that I can pull the c22 with. What is the minimum weight that a vehicle needs to be rated to pull the c22 ? 3500 lbs? What does this beast really weigh ? Has anyone ever weighd the rig like on a truck scale? Any input is welcome.
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
blu by you

Post by blu by you »

all the manuals i have seen say the boat weighs 3000 pnds plus motor, gear and the trailer a safe guess would be 5000 pounds i pull mine with a ford f 150 v8 and no problem
im a new chrysler c 22 owner (bought it the end of may )i will be sailing out of port ritchie fl
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

I would not tow it more than a short distance with anything less than a full sized 1/2 ton truck. If you are planing to traverse any mountains it better have a V8 under the hood and a towing package.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

I agree. No less than 5K towing rating. Boat 3K, trailer roughly 1K, stuff aboard? roughly 1K. Seriously, motor, gas, life jackets, all the extras you've added, things you had to have, etc etc.

I towed with a Ford Explorer 4.0 liter v6 with towing package for a while on fairly flat short runs with no problem. Rated at 5500 lbs

I then bought a used F150 Long bed 2wd 4.2 liter v6 with towing package . It tows much better because of the longer wheel base. It just feels better and more stable. I've towed over Snoqualmi Pass and Stevens pass with the F150 without a problem however I do not push the motor and was as slow as 37 mph at some points. Rated at 5800 lbs.

Couple of things, automatics tend to be a prefered tow vehicle.
Don't tow in overdrive.
Get a tranny cooler if you do not already have one on your new rig. Cheap and easy to install relative to replacing a transmission.

Just my thoughts!

Scott
Anhinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Anhinga »

I towed several 22 footers with my toyota 4x4 on a worn out V6. I went where I wanted and never had an issue with the smaller truck. Both the Catlina and the Oday were weighed within the 3000 to 3200 pound range ready to sail with a motor and trailer. The thing about towing capacity is that it's a national spec so a 3500 lb rating, for example, is for highway speed through the Rocky mountains. It would follow then, that for my midwest location you don't need a V8, or even a full size truck to tow a 22 foot sailboat. That' proven true for me so far.

All the best!

-Jim on Anhinga
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

There is a difference between what can be towed and what should be towed by any given vehicle. I think on flat ground a V6 would be fine but even on flat ground you need the braking and stability to control the combination in emergency situations and if the towing vehicle weighs much less than the towed vehicle I think you are just asking for trouble. Brakes on the trailer can help offset this. Our boats easily exceed 4000 lbs when fully loaded including the trailer, when I bought mine I towed it home with my company truck, a underpowered sierra without a tow package, and never felt comfortable. On the other hand with my personal truck which is overkill, weighing in at 8000 lbs itself and powered by a diesel and being a 1 ton truck, I hardly know it is behind me except when I look at the fuel mileage reading and see it has dropped from 22 mpg to 16.

I think the perfect choice would be a diesel powered 1/2 ton with a tow package.......are you listening Detroit?
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

16mpg while towing. I envy you!

C26 behind a Ford E-150, 5.4L and tow package. 16mpg would be incredible! :shock:
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

I am looking forward to another tow vehicle down the road at present I use a 95 Dakota V8 with tow package which has a rating of 7000# and a C-26 loaded 5500# and a trailer 1400# wow 6900# I am looking to get a 2500 with a V8 and tow package before I look to tow too far. 3 miles twice a year is all I want to do with the Dakota.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LeatherneckPA »

I pulled my C-22 and trailer from Tampa FL to Williamsport PA using a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.8L V-8 and factory tow package. Averaged 12 miles per gallon over the 1200 miles, which is just shy of the 14 mpg I got on the way down with the empty trailer. The Dodge didn't even act like it knew there was anything back there UNTIL I hit the one 8% grade just 10 miles from home. I'm really debating whether I am going to get a brand new 2500 diesel when I get my teaching job or just try to restore the current truck. I love this truck, and that $45k price tag is scary.
Iron Mike - Semper Fidelis
Jack of all trades, Master of none
1978 C-22: Believer
troyengel

Post by troyengel »

Ok, here is something that I have knowledge of, I tow with a K2500 Chev Standard Pick up. I also plow snow with this same truck, After towing my C22 around a bit, I would recommend a full size SUV if your planning on going more that a few miles from home, I know that the previous owner had a hard time towing with his S10 blazer, the boat would steer his truck, I don't have any problems. I plan on towing this Boat with my Suburban also, both have towing packages. A trans cooler is a very good Idea, as any truck trans repair runs around 2500. also you need to either tow with the overdrive off, or watch your trans temp. A diesel is overkill in most locations in the US. but it sure is nice. I don't run diesels only due to the type of driving that I normally do. Remember, some times bigger is better. a V-8 is nice when pulling it out of the water, or you could get a 4wd and put the vehicle in low range. A Tahoe would be a good tow vehcile.
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

I pulled the 22 over 1200 mile with my f150 equipped with the 5.8l and an automatic trany. The truck got about 11 per gal and was comfortable at speeds of 65 and 70, and that was without trailer brakes. The truck had no problems stopping the weight. I think one of the most important factors to consider when talking about towing is rear end gear ratio. Mine came stock with the 3.08 gears. I had 3.73 gears for some time and pulled a 7000# fifth wheel camper without too much trouble, but at around 6 miles per gal. I have since reinstalled the stock gears and that's what I did the long boat pull with. I'm thinking of going to a 3.55 rear end gear because of the 5000+ weight of the new boat, although I won't be pulling it very often.
1977 Chrysler 22
Ground to windward is dearly bought, but easly spent.
cs3079
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cs3079 »

I know my C20's a runt on the block here, but I tow with a 2003 4.7l V8 Dodge Durango. Cheap (used that is), and 5700 Lbs towing capacity and 7 passngr seating (or just a buttload of cargo space inside), plus...it's Chrysler on Chrysler :lol:. Feels very good on the road except when I pull into a gas station(13 city/17 hwy). A 5.9L engine brings up the towing capacity to 7300 lbs and the gas mileage is only 2 mpg worse (for you big guys). It's not your everyday driving kinda vehicle anymore but it sure beats a Prius when comes to trailer sailing!
Bruce
Chry Wndw Shopping/'69 Newport H-20
Poupon Me!
Ray Twp., MI
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/65343255@N06/
Vids: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL60647F9C03EAE28A

I want a boat that drinks 6, eats 4, and sleeps 2.
- Earnest K. Gann
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

I tow with an '89 2500 Dodge Cummins. It had 600K on it when I got it and I've added 25K running back and forth to NC. I got it to tow my 26 which I haven't done yet but I tow my 3500lb powerboat with it. The only way you know you''re towing is to look in the mirror. It will go 65 mph @ 20 mpg. Diesel costs more than gas but the mpg advantage levels the playing field. Plus, you can't beat low end torque coming up a ramp, starting from a light or climbing a long hill.

Leartherneck There are some nice mid 2000"s out there between 18-25,000. They made the 5.9 until 06 then went to the 6.7.
I don't know that much about the 6.7 but I know when Ford went from the proven 7.3 to the 6.0 thay had problems. We're going to thin our fleet soon and I'm going to look for a pre 07 quad cab 4x4 long bed and put a cap on it.

cs3079 "plus...it's Chrysler on Chrysler"

Clair
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Well lets see. I personally call Captain Scott (69Shark) and ask nicely, "Can I get my boat towed to the Marina," or "Towed from the Marina to home?" :shock:

Best Towing package I've ever had. :shock: :shock:

I need to get a truck before the 2012 sailing season. :?

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Alanhod wrote:Well lets see. I personally call Captain Scott (69Shark) and ask nicely, "Can I get my boat towed to the Marina," or "Towed from the Marina to home?" :shock:

Best Towing package I've ever had. :shock: :shock:

I need to get a truck before the 2012 sailing season. :?

Thanks
Alan
I'm here for ya Alan!!
Any time I'm available!
Scott
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

cs3079 "plus...it's Chrysler on Chrysler"
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

My boat and Dakota w/300k

5brought home by lecker68, on Flickr
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

UH O Banshi. Truck envy! That's what I'm talkin about. What year, how many miles?
Clair
FranS

Post by FranS »

We towed... Short distances... Twice a season With a Dodge Caravan I would not recommend it, very high pucker factor
Windward

Post by Windward »

I tow Windward from NE Tennessee to the Outer Banks on a borrowed trailer with a 2006 standard bed, super cab F150 5.4L, 4wd with 3.73s. Not sure what the all-up weight is for Windward, gear and trailer, but I'd guess it's 8000-8500 pounds. It struggles coming up 421 into Boone, and on 105 past Boone, but otherwise it's quite functional.
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

I like my Yukon! 5.3 V8 and towing package for the tranny on a one ton truck chasis. Bonus - I get 4 extra lug nuts that way! I've towed my 22 behind a '87 Ranger with the 2.9 V6. It was ok on the flat or going down hill, but we have a few steeper roads out here in Colorado and I was afraid the boat would push me down the mountains. No worries now. I'm still thinking I would like some brakes on the trailer though.

Paul where 0 AGL = 5,000+MSL
Tranquil Chaos
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Well......ahem..this was the last one I used..

Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

EE, how deep was the water in the box of the truck when you launched? :wink:
Tranquil Chaos
thepartydog

Post by thepartydog »

EE stole my idea. So, how deep do you think the water in the box would get?
Darin
"Ya Never Know"
1980 C26
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Guys, even with the short tongue on EE's trailer I was able to float her off and the water was nowhere near the box. There's a lot of distance between the rear tires and hitch and I guess the ramp is shallow. Cost was about 150 for the single day 120 mile round trip..

Now when we moved EE after Katrina we used a 97 Ford F350 diesel dually and that (as they says) was a hoss!!
Those pics are here
Always looking for a deal on one of those !
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

Someone told me once that Uhaul used a non-standard receiver size to prevent that sort of thing. I guess it's not true.

Hmmm, sell the van. Rent a truck twice a year.
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Has a 2" ball on rear of that 17' size.

14' foot truck says accepts from 2 to 2-5/16 I think..they probably do discourage it. I somehow forgot to ask first...oops
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

2003 1 ton srw with Standard output Cummins with 146000 on it now. Added pyro,boost and tranny temp guages along with the running boards and topper. Replaced tires and batteries for first time at about 130000 almost time to do the brakes....:) She ain't really happy unless there is something heavy hooked up :wink:
cs3079
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cs3079 »

Geez, I love that truck. I worked for Chrysler and people would tell me there's nothin' like a Cummins with a Dodge wrapped around it!
Bruce
Chry Wndw Shopping/'69 Newport H-20
Poupon Me!
Ray Twp., MI
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/65343255@N06/
Vids: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL60647F9C03EAE28A

I want a boat that drinks 6, eats 4, and sleeps 2.
- Earnest K. Gann
jbbkamp

Post by jbbkamp »

Like Bruce we have the C20. We pull with a 2005 Toyota Sienna. No problems pulling, braking, etc. We've pulled up to 200 miles at 65-70 and got 17mpg. You can kinda tell it's back there but not much. Seems the C22 should have a bigger vehicle though.