Getting ready to Buy 76 22 Foot Any Feedback, Roy

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Sailroy

Getting ready to Buy 76 22 Foot Any Feedback, Roy

Post by Sailroy »

Hi,
I am getting ready to buy a 1976, 22' Chrysler.
I am wondering if anyone can share some feedback on what to look for, or any feedback at all.
I have been sailing a 16' Com-Pac Yahct for years and need more cabin space for my son, Single Dad.
Any Feedback would be GREATLY appreciated.
Cheers Roy
Sailroy008@hotmail.com
KeithR

Post by KeithR »

PM sent!
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

You have the standard boat things to look for.

Soft spots in the hull, any nasty corossion, water leaks, etc. So we assume you know the basics from experience.

Next thing on the C22 is a look at the keel pin plates. Granted it is hard to see much there but you CAN see severe corrosion on the plates. That would indicate it may be time soon to replace. Check the rudder and make sure it is straight. EG not bent port or starboard.

Otherwise, a good general once over just like any other boat. Tap the hull for soft spots and blisters, walk each inch on deck looking for soft spots.Check all the lines for decent condition. One think I do on a new boat type to me is ask the seller to step the mast for me and rig it. This will help insure all parts are there. No need for any suprises!

Good luck and let us know how you fair!

Scott
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Here's what I looked for and more things I would look for if buying another boat.

Condition of the fiberglass. Cracks blisters, chips, dings.

Keel pin. Bring a mirror and a flashlight. crawl under the boat and shine the light up in there to see the keel pin condition. (Now having sailed my boat a couple years. I would still get my C22 if it had a bad keel pin, I'd jut put in a new one.)

Check the sail condition. New sails are pricy.

If it has a motor, see it running before buying.

Turn on all the lights to see if they work and which one's need replacing. (My boat had a new electrical panel battery and all new wiring, but I never turned anything on till the sun was going down and I was out in the shipping lanes. All that new wiring was coiled up sitting under the galley seat waiting to be installed! :shock: )

Biggest advise is if it's on a trailer get the trailer too, pay the extra on day one. I figured I'd just get a trailer when I needed one as they were everywhere when I bought the boat. It took me 2 years to get a great trailer... after I needed it. This was the only real pain I've had with my boat, getting a trailer.

I know there is a lot more but this is what's coming to mind.

You could pay to have a survey done of the boat. Have a local expert check it out for you for a fee of course.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing