What motor should I get for a C26 ?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Guillaume C.

What motor should I get for a C26 ?

Post by Guillaume C. »

Hola

My current setup plain suck, I have an old mercury 9.9 short shaft without cockpit control, and dont want to invest on it. So I tought it might be the good time of the years to shop for a lightly used motor(years 2000+, should be quite reliable?)

What are you using, or would love to be using?

Should I look for a 9.9 or 15 hp?
Is 20" shaft enought or a 25" make a real difference?
What about these Hight Trust by yamaha, does it really help?

Next year Ill go on the st-laurence and on following years might be interested to go south during the winter. So altought my 9.9 had enought power for the lake I was on during the summer, I dont have enought experience to guest what is needed for harder conditions.

As for the motor mount, do you like how it is attached to the transom on your C26? mine got modified and the motor is on the side on an up/down bracket and believe it would work and look better with the original configuration, what's your tought?

Lots of question on one post, thanks if you can help!
Guillaume
Gus

Re: What motor should I get for a C26 ?

Post by Gus »

Guillaume C. wrote:Hola

My current setup plain suck, I have an old mercury 9.9 short shaft without cockpit control, and dont want to invest on it. So I tought it might be the good time of the years to shop for a lightly used motor(years 2000+, should be quite reliable?)

What are you using, or would love to be using?

Should I look for a 9.9 or 15 hp?
Is 20" shaft enought or a 25" make a real difference?
What about these Hight Trust by yamaha, does it really help?

Next year Ill go on the st-laurence and on following years might be interested to go south during the winter. So altought my 9.9 had enought power for the lake I was on during the summer, I dont have enought experience to guest what is needed for harder conditions.

As for the motor mount, do you like how it is attached to the transom on your C26? mine got modified and the motor is on the side on an up/down bracket and believe it would work and look better with the original configuration, what's your tought?

Lots of question on one post, thanks if you can help!
Guillaume
Ask Jeff. I don't know what horsepower does he have in his engine, but I was having trouble catching up with him with my 9.9. I heard a high trust propeller makes a world of difference, but I'm yet to get one for myself (maybe next season)

Gus
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
Guillaume C.

Post by Guillaume C. »

About the high trust it's not only the propeller but the gear ratio that is different on yamaha model. But they are more expensive than normal model and I cannot find them used. But if I were to buy new I think this is what I would get

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/pr ... specs.aspx
SN691
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SN691 »

I bought a Mercury 9.9 Prokicker for my boat. A frend of mine has one on his boat in the San Fransico bay and he says it will push at hull speed. He got the 20 in. shaft beacuse the 25 in. will not clear the water when tilted up. I have not had a chance to use mine yet beacuse the lake is down 188 feet from the top

Bob
Bob

1979 C-26

Easy Street

~~~_/)~~~
Guillaume C.

Post by Guillaume C. »

Thanks, that is usefull to know

What about the center motor mount? I'm not sure if I should convert it back to original setup or not
Gus

Post by Gus »

Guillaume C. wrote:About the high trust it's not only the propeller but the gear ratio that is different on yamaha model. But they are more expensive than normal model and I cannot find them used. But if I were to buy new I think this is what I would get

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/pr ... specs.aspx
mmmm I don't know there. Most people I have talked about it, they say replacing the regular propeller for a mickey mouse ears makes a big difference.
The one for my mercury is like 90 bucks I belive.

Gus
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

I have a johnson sailmaster 9.9 on my C-26. I mostly sail on smaller lakes and have never had a problem however I did have problems one day when the winds picked up to 30ish and I could not motor into the wind. Other then that the motor works well and pushes my boat at hull speed at around 1/4 throttle.
foltz_d

yamaha 15

Post by foltz_d »

MY husband & I bought a 15 hp. Now we wished we had gotten a bigger one. My husband wants a 40 now but we bought the 15 because of the cost.
Gus

Post by Gus »

40 hp for a displacement hull? that's way too much IMO,besides you'll put a lot of stress in the transom as well.
Windward

Post by Windward »

I'd second a "not more than 15 HP" recommendation. A displacement hull will seldom benefit from an oversized engine, but it will use more fuel and unnecessary weight to the transom.

Also, the C26 motor mount is a weak point. Almost every motor mount I've seen on the C26 has not proven durable enough for even a 10 HP engine over the course of 30 years, and most have been reinforced or replaced. The mount itself was designed to accommodate a low profile engine, and most modern outboards cannot be tilted completely out of the water on that mount because they hit the transom.

I drove Windward for a year using an old, 2 hp, long shaft Evinrude. She'd make about 3 - 3.5 kt in flat water with no wind, which was adequate inland to get in and out of the dock but pretty much useless in high winds or strong current.

I found a Chrysler Sailor 250, with a massive lower unit and large diameter prop, a 25" shaft, electronic ignition, remote control and electric start, and that motor is perfect for the C26. I could see having a few extra ponies in really high winds or power currents, but I was quite satisfied with it during a trip to the Outer Banks.

If I were bucks up, the ideal solution might be the aftermarket SailDrive unit that uses a 12 or 15 hp Honda 4 stroke powerhead. Weight would be low and toward the middle of the boat, you'd get some prop wash to help maneuvering, fuel consumption should be lower, 10 amp alternator and no problems with catching air on big waves (although I've not had that problem yet). Kinda spendy at $6300 or so, though.
foltz_d

yamaha 15

Post by foltz_d »

One reason we bought a yamaha instead of honda was the price and the second thing was when we looked into who could repair a honda we would have to drive 35 miles for it. Seems kind of odd here in Wilmington that most repair places are for yamaha not honda. I was assured when I bought it that the engine would out live me. We have hadn't had a problem yet, we have had it almost a year.
Gus

Post by Gus »

My 1998 9.9 Mercury has yet to let me down. I had to send it for servicing after getting it (it wasn't charging the battery) But other than that, not a problem.
SN691
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: yamaha 15

Post by SN691 »

foltz_d wrote:MY husband & I bought a 15 hp. Now we wished we had gotten a bigger one. My husband wants a 40 now but we bought the 15 because of the cost.
On the inside of the stern of MY 26 there is a plate that states max. horse power 15. and max weigh 1800 lbs incluing motor
Bob

1979 C-26

Easy Street

~~~_/)~~~