Need an intervention!

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
2nd generation

Need an intervention!

Post by 2nd generation »

I have had my C22 for sale all summer and had several lookers but only one offer of $1,500 from someone that never saw it in person. My reply to him was I can sell the outboard and trailer alone for that much. This put the bad idea in my head of selling it off piece by piece. Here is where I need the intervention- I read about members here spending so much time trying to get their boats ready for launching and I am thinking about parting out a Chrysler C22 that could be put in the water today and sailed. If I do part it out it is a complete 1975 C22 so there would be just about any part anyone would need.

Give me your thoughts on what I should do. My guess is members that need parts will say "part it out" and members that don't will say "how can you even think of doing such a thing to a Chrysler!"

Here is the link to my current listing-

http://swmi.craigslist.org/boa/2571376504.html
Mike
(former owner of) 1975 C-22 "Mel-O"
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Thinks of it as being a "Organ Donor".
They don't remove organs from a healthy person.
Your C22 is not dead.
Parting it out would be like removing organs from a living thing.
Someone will come along and give your boat a loving home.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

WOW,
Sounds like you get to sail her for a while longer! Have you watched the local ads to see if other boats are moving? Maybe it is simply your market area.

I agree about not parting her out. Once she is gone, she is gone forever.
Very few folks are willing to take an older boat and bring her back to life.

IF you strip her then there is one less in the world.

Just sayin'

Do what is best for you for sure but if you can keep her together . . .
I bought a C22 with the intent of stripping and dumping. Could not do it. Instead I refitted her and sold her. She has a new life and a new owner. IF you look at my "CaptainScottSailing.com" webpage it is the blue C22!

Scott
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

I have 3 sailboats, all for fun ( not parts ) with a littel care, thy can be sailed for another 30 years.
sauerleigh

Post by sauerleigh »

The dollar value of anything is pretty much what someone else is willing to pay for it. In a different economy your asking price seems like a fair one, but today, $1500 might be the best offer you'll get.
1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never
Lucky Jack

Post by Lucky Jack »

You might also try putting her on sailingtexas.com, sailboatlistings.com, or ebay. Having said that, I could use some sails, a tiller handle, and a lifeline stanchion. :wink:
1980 C22 Rose Sea
Papax3

response

Post by Papax3 »

That's a totally painful thought.

These boats are built so well, that from a purely "good samaritan" point of view... you would be saving a prospective buyer the pain of hoping to buy a boat without fiberglass soft spots. I was personally worried to death that I would buy a boat with some dead glass in it. What I'm saying, is that other "old boats" are so poorly constructed, that it's hard for a guy on a thin budget to even get close to anything that's not a nightmare. Keep it for that reason alone. In life, we all look for "that great deal"... why not be the benefactor for someone who is looking for that impossible deal. I searched VERY VERY hard, and still feel that I kinda got lucky. by the way, I purchased my boat and trailer for exactly $1500 dollars. It's the economy, and nothing else. My parents were in the middle of moving to another house, and now are getting completely soaked because they were stupid enough to try and move from a house that's paid for. It'll cost them about $60,000 when all is said and done... "they think". Sell the boat as a good deed.
I love that ?Spinnaker? picture in your avatar... ?genoa?
I adore it.
Enjoy the simple things...
Bill
We're just about finished with refurbishing our Chrysler 22, she's slipped, and ready for fun!

Lake Quachita, HotSprings Arkansas
Bill Williams
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

I'm in the same place. I recently took advantage of this weak market and bought an ODay 272 for less than 3,800 that in a healthy market would fetch over 7,500. This sword cuts both ways, I offered my C22 and trailer without motor to a gentalman for 1,400 a couple of days ago. I have the feeling I'll be having this boat for awhile, figure I'll hold on to her and if nothing else, I'll give her to my son or father. I don't have enough in her to worry about it anyway, and heck, she would make a nice road boat to do some day sailing on vacation somewhere warm in the winter. :wink:

If you part her out, I'd part her as major parts... boat, trailer, outboard.
1977 Chrysler 22
Ground to windward is dearly bought, but easly spent.
Anhinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Anhinga »

1500.00 to 2000.00 is the going price for a 22 foot anything sailboat of a Chrysler vintage in southern WI. That has been the range for years now regardless of the economy. Catalinas, O'Days Chryslers whatever most just see "old boat". Had a guy wish me luck on my "project boat" 26. All he saw was "old". Don't break it up unless it's crashed or rotten though, someone will want it. BTW I'm still looking for a tiller head to fit the C26!
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Hmm, it's all economics really.

My feelings are, don't part it out. Sell it whole, eat the loss. The time and pain of cutting it up is too high, and in the end you've got a mess on your hands that will cost some real big money putting whats left it in the land fill.

Market says its worth $1500 in your area. If you need the money sell it. I might sell the boat though for $1500 and then also sell them the trailer for an additional $1000 and the motor for an additional $500. But nothing will be sold at all till the boat sells first. The trailer and the motor will go fast for your price on Craig's List.

BIG Problem with parting out a boat. Shipping costs.

I have asked several people here on the forum in the past for parts off there boats. The price for the parts has always been fair but the cost of the shipping is a KILLER. To date I've only been able to afford the small bits that can be packed and shipped cheap.

No I think what you have here is what we call a boat.

Yea, I can be sarcastic but it's true. You love them when you buy them, typically you paid a little too much. You loved it, nursed it from your wallet year after year. Even the years you did not sail it even once. Then the day comes to sell it and you can get only what you paid for it the first day or even less. This does not include what you paid for upgrades, repairs, etc. You paid that for the right to own that boat. Kind of like condo association fee's. You never get that money back but we knew it when you bought them. And if we did not know it then we know it now.

I paid $1500 for my boat on day 1. I've put in another $1200 in repairs, upgrades and maintenance currently on this boat.

I paid $500 for the current outboard. (I paid more for the 2 dead outboards that came before it. Could have bought a brand new one for the money I put in those 3 used motors.)

I paid $550 for the trailer, then I fixed it up to fit my boat, say a total of $700 for the trailer.

So all told I have put about $3900 on my boat and another 125 hours of direct labor.

My boat, in my market, with the trailer and motor. I would ask say $3000 and be happy with $2500. Note it is not for sale, my obsession and the love of the boat would be pushing the $10,000 range. Emotions can be very pricy when it comes to my beloved Chrysler C-22. :wink: And no I do not think I am the last owner of my Honu. Not by a long shot. I will sell it some day and it will hurt and I will never get my money out of it in any way shape or form. However owning it, sailing it, working on it, my friends here on this forum, PRICELESS.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Could donate it a good cause.
Not sure what kind of tax write off there is for donating a sailboat.
My local Boy Scout Summer Camp has three Chrysler 22's along with a fleet of various Sunfish and scows that have all been donated.
I know the camp has had other brands of sailboats in the 20' to 24' range over the years but the Cryslers have been in service the longest due to construction and relibality.
True they may get sailed hard and daily all summer, but the long lasting memories that the Scouts have of sailing on the "Big Boats" is priceless :D
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place