Sailing Pamlico Sound in October

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
gregcrawford

Sailing Pamlico Sound in October

Post by gregcrawford »

Fellow enthusiasts:

I am planning to visit my bro-in-law Mike in Manteo the second week of Oct. I will be hauling the C22 with me in hopes of sailing possibly down to Ocracoke and back. Mike says that is a good time to come out. I could use any advice you may have to offer. Other than a short trip out of Gulfport, MS on a 33 footer, my sailing has been limited to inland lakes. Any suggestions on what to take, what to do, what to eat, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Greg Crawford
Knoxville, TN

1976 Chrysler 22 "Blues Image"

http://bluesimage.blogspot.com/
hadaveha

Post by hadaveha »

Greg
I am in Alabama I am working on my c22 now keel pin mainly, but I will be mostley sailing on Logan Martin Lake, and Lake Guntersville, with a huge desire to get off shore sometime so please keep us up to date I will be hanging on your every word.
david
david

new owner 1979 c22
ABIGAIL
Windward

Post by Windward »

Greg,

Tight for time just now, but I'll drop you a note later. I'll be on the Sound -- and outside some -- for several weeks in October, the 5th year I've dragged Windward down for the trip.

Manteo is pretty cool. It's a long haul from Manteo to Ocracoke (about 55-60 miles), and unless the breeze is western to north-northwest there's virtually no sheltered anchorage en route (well, Englehard, I guess). Be comfortable with reading charts, and thinking on your feet -- the buoyage south of Duck Island was probably done by Jackson Pollock, and can be confusing.

Don't underestimate the sound. It can be really mellow, but it is pretty shallow and shoaly and can also beat the chicken soup out of you. You don't really get a sense of wave size (3-5 feet) or wind speed (20-30 kt) from this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSztXqJY8oY , but that's a Chrysler 26 with a 3rd reef and maybe 35 sq ft of yankee rolled out, making 5.4 or so upwind. Wet. Fun. Tiring. Don't sweat it, but do watch the forecast, make sure your rigging's sound, you have adequate nav capabilities and safety gear, and have enough fuel. Then have fun with it.

Oh, and you really, really want good screens for every orifice on your boat.

Last year's trip pics are here: http://www.sv-windward.com/shipslog/201 ... index.html

I'm tentatively planning to sail the area from Oct 9-22nd; it's my vacation, during which I'm totally self-absorbed and unreliable 8), but that said let's keep in touch and see if a raft-up might be feasible.
Last edited by Windward on Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Holy Moly! That looks like fun! Hardly looks like enough canvas to push her over! You're right--kinda deceiving!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Jeff and Greg

If by chance your Pamlico Sound adventures bring any of you down the Intracoastal Waterway toward Wilmington, feel free to touch base, I'm always looking for a chance at dinner and good sailing conversation.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
Windward

Post by Windward »

@Terrence, I'll let you know as/if plans materialize. I've been eying the 70 mile trip from Beaufort down to the Masonboro Inlet, which would be a darn sight less stressful than the run into and back out of Bogue Inlet we did a couple of years back... just depends on weather and where else I try to get. I was also considering time in Albemarle Sound, which I've barely been in, and possibly a run up to the south Chesapeake via Great Dismal Swamp Canal or ICW. If I head that way, probably won't make it too far south... only so many days, and I don't want to have the delivery mentality for a vacation trip.
gregcrawford

Post by gregcrawford »

Jeff: Thank you for the reply. I have a lot of questions, but I am sure I will discover the answers when I get there! My bro-in-law builds million dollar sportfish yachts and has been running boats since he was 6, but never a sailboat. But I am depending on him for a lot of local knowledge. He doesn't think I would have any difficulty, but then he is used to twin turbocharged 800 horsepower Cat diesels for power! My boat would just be a dinghy on the ones he builds.

My biggest concern would be the wind strength and direction. My understanding is the prevailing winds for this region are southwest shifting to northeast about the time I am planning to go. My bro-in-law says the humidity and the bugs are generally less at this time but the temperature is still comfortable.

My tentative plan would hinge on the wind direction I guess. I could go into Albemarle Sound instead if that seemed like a better idea. Again, you've been there, so I am all ears. And it ultimately seems that the weather will dictate, so I need more than one plan.

Ocracoke or Oriental (been to both by land) would be cool destinations, but I am sure some of the other towns a little closer to Manteo would be fun to visit as well.

Another issue is that I don't have a dinghy, so having some place to tie up is rather important whenever we are not anchored.

My wife will be going, which adds to the stress because you always want the wife to have a good time!
Greg Crawford
Knoxville, TN

Windward

Post by Windward »

Greg, I may have an inflatable dinghy you can borrow. It's not fancy, would benefit from a solid floor insert of some sort and definitely is an oars-only affair, but it would get you safely from ship to shore if you want to beach comb or not drop the bux on transient slippage when there's an anchorage.

Pamlico is one of my favorite places to be on a boat. I think you guys'll enjoy it.

Last year I had winds ranging from WNW to N when I sailed up to Manteo, which made for slower progress north but gave me some sheltered anchorages on the western shore.

Not sure how much sailing your wife's done, nor how comfy she is with it. My wife is much happier if we have a couple of easy days on the boat before taking on anything epic, or even decidedly bouncy, and she's an amazingly good sport (I'll tell you about our first trip through the Beaufort Inlet some time). Biggest thing if she's aboard is to be flexible with destinations and schedules so you don't have to push when you shouldn't

You might ask your doc to prescribe some Scopalomine patches, anti-nausea meds in the form of little patches that go behind ones ear. Seasickness is miserable, and the patches are a godsend on days with residual swells and not enough wind. She probably does NOT want to spend much time below while underway if the seas are unsettled.

Bring extra water, and maybe a solar shower so that she can get the stickiness off.

If it's rough you will ship water in the cockpit. Be sure your lockers seal and latch, since on the 22 they empty into the bilge.

Albemarle Sound is reputed to get quite rough, with nasty, short chop, so keep a weather eye there. I've barely been into it, so anything I can tell you there is second hand.

Ocracoke would be a nice treat with her. You can get dockage at the Anchorage Inn (I think) for about what the National Park Service docks run, and you'll be able to get a long, hot shower that way. Maybe have a day of downtime there, rent bikes, maybe grab breakfast at the grab breakfast at the Pony Island Restaurant and do a good dinner at the Back Porch. Could be a couple of days back north to Manteo.

Consider bringing a spare tank of fuel so you have options, a depth sounder and at least a GPS if not a chartplotter. You can get by with a bearing compass and your wits, but it can make it much easier to navigate into some of the more circuitous anchorages. I have waypoints in Garmin format if you want them.
gregcrawford

Post by gregcrawford »

Jeff:

Thank you for the kind offer of the dinghy. I may take you up on it if I can't find one around here.

Quite impressive footage on your Youtube clip. I just now got to a PC where I could watch it. Takes too long on the smart phone.

As you pointed out, you were on the third reef. My mainsail only has one reef point. I do have a storm jib, though.

Some of the other items you mention I have already like a depth finder/GPS, a separate hand held (new) Garmin gps with coast maps, hand bearing compass, solar shower, 13 gallon flexible water tank, screens for the main hatch, screens for the forward hatch, Maptech charts 89 and 90, etc.

I am going to have to build a galley between now and October. Would you recommend that Seaswing stove?

I will get some gasketing material and seal the cockpit lockers.

What would be the typical temperature for that time of year? Or that you have experienced in the past.

You're on Lake Watauga, right? Which marina? I drove right through there four times this summer on the way to a jobsite in North Carolina.

Terrence, thank you for the invitation, but it is doubtful that we will get that far!
Greg Crawford
Knoxville, TN

astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Greg...my wife and I stayed at the Outdoors Inn bed and breakfast a year and a half ago in Manteo. It is run by Matt and Pam Landrum and Matt works for a Yacht builder there. Might be your Bro in law???

Anyway, Matt is quite knowledgeable about the area waters and about sailing. We went out with him on his Catalina 22 in Roanoke sound...also shallow and shoaly.

If he works for you bro in law he would be good to talk to...jus sayin.
Bill