Where's Windward?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Gus

Where's Windward?

Post by Gus »

Long due post. Oct 11 was the annual trip to Cape Lookout. It was a great day. Nice sailing (the wind was kinda weak) Dolphins were everywhere, jumping out of the water, and swimming next to the boats. Right before making it to the cape, I called out for Windward, and to my surprised Jeff answer the radio! What a beautiful red hull Chrysler 26 he has!! The party in the beach was a blast! Plenty of food and rum. That night I sleep like a baby, only to woke up to the sounds of dragging anchor! After reseting, I was awaken at 6am to a beautiful sunrise, then, without thinking, I went back to sleep! I woke up at 9am, and there was the only one! Jeff was pulling anchor, so I quickly raised mine and we were on our way. I met Jeff again while he was anchored in Taylor Creek. It was great, I can't hardly wait for next year!!

Gus
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
keysskipper

Post by keysskipper »

Nothing nicer than seeing her under sail, nice rig Jeff, looks like a blue water cruiser. Keysskipper
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

Is this a chysler sailing event? The pictures look great and I would love to sail that area. I need to put this on my calender next year.
Gus

Post by Gus »

ronc98 wrote:Is this a chysler sailing event? The pictures look great and I would love to sail that area. I need to put this on my calender next year.
Not really. The boats went from a Hunter 36 to a Chrysler Pirateer. Lotsa boats! (more than 30 +60 people) I highly recommend the event. Lots of friendly people, lots and lots of food, and great sailing!

Jeff boat looks great! I didn't get a chance to see the 26 up and close (due to the fact that I got up late Sunday morning :p)
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

Where do you guys put in at and how long is the trip? This sounds like a fun time and it would be nice to sail around with some other Chryslers.

R
Gus

Post by Gus »

Jeff was hardcore, he launched at Oriental (great Wildlife ramp) I launched in Beafort (the ramp is so so, but I had no problems this time) The ramps are usually packed, but I usually de-rig my boat in the water, and drop the mast in the ramp.

I left with the tide at 10am, and I got there (bit sailing, bit motorsailing) at around 1pm. It was a great trip both ways, beautifull weather, about 80 durind the day, fresh at night. It was a relief from sailing in 100+ summer days. I'm looking forward for next year.

Gus
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

I plan on being there next year. Not sure where I will launch but the more I get to sail the better. I can not wait to get back into the water!
Gus

Post by Gus »

Well, from Oriental to Beaufort, that's a trip right there. Then from Oriental you can sail to Ocracoke, that's another trip there (took me almost 11 hours to make it)
There's a lot of places to go in the NC coast!

Gus
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

Looking at the map that is just a bit north of Topsail Island which is a place I vacation my my kids every years. It has been a tradition for the past 8 years. Next year I think I will pull down the 26 and spend some time on the boat.

The october trip is this a weekend thing or do you guys spend more time sailing around the area?
Gus

Post by Gus »

for me it was a weekend trip. Some people stays over longer. I know Topsail Island, is not that far from Beaufort.

Gus
Windward

Windward's still on the borrowed trailer!

Post by Windward »

Hi Gus,

Sorry to be AWOL (or more properly, Absent Without Functional Boat) for so long. I completely forgot that you wanted to get a look below... next time remind me. Despite the roughness of the seas -- there were several ripples, as I recall -- we could have rafted up on the way back to Beaufort.

Upon return to TN, I noticed that the masthead had cracked yet again. I'll post pics of my repairs, which are not impressive but should be functional and strong. I've traced out the replacement center plate, which I'll also post. Here's a tip: if you have a furler, you really need to ensure you having toggling in both axes at the masthead or you run the risk of having this same problem. Several of the riggers I spoke with suggested that bi-axial toggling is a good idea even if you don't have a furler.

Having gotten off lucky twice, I chose to do a quick overall rigging review. I discovered that there was no compression tube installed at the spreaders, causing the spreader bolt holes to become elongated, the spreader brackets to deform and the mast to compress slightly. Also explains why my mast seems to pump so much in gusty conditions. I've had some spreader reinforcement/bearing brackets fabricated and am installing those today. Also putting in a decent compression tube, replacing the spreader brackets and the aft lowers.

Off to do metal work now. Hope everyone else is well.

Fair Winds,

Jeff
Gus

Post by Gus »

Jeff: No problem, next time around!! A cracked masthead!!! :shock: Glad you found the problem safe at home instead of in the middle of the water! (Reminds me I need to check my rigging!)

Gus
Gus

Post by Gus »

If anybody is interested, and if the weather holds (66F right now, I'm in t-shirt, short and flip-flops), I might go to Oriental for New Years. They hold a parade, lowering the croaker, and races the next day.

Gus