sail repair

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
hadaveha

sail repair

Post by hadaveha »

guys I have a 6 inch seem i need fixed on my c22 sail where is the best place to send it to have it fixed.
david

new owner 1979 c22
ABIGAIL
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Sounds like a home job to me, only 6 inches at the seam is a pretty easy job with some patients the right thread/needle and palm thimble. You might be surprised at your hidden skills. Go to the sailrite website and poke around a bit to see what tips and materials they have to offer.
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Ditto what Banshi said!
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Ditto 3 with same answer your lucky day I thought I couldn't do it and a friend gave me the same advice.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
38 special
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 38 special »

If you doubt your sewing skills take it to a auto upholstry shop.
hadaveha

Post by hadaveha »

these are original sails and I was just afraid they might be a bit brittle, they look nice and have been stored inside, so my typical duck tape repair wont work this time
david

new owner 1979 c22
ABIGAIL
38 special
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 38 special »

I just bought my boat. The sails are original and had been stored in a sail bag. A critter had got in and decided to chew a hole in one so I brought them to the "sail loft" in bayfield, WI. The guy told me they were very repairable and had been used very little.(the boat had not seen water since 95) He said if your sails are crisp and starchy their good, if they flap like a bed sheet, better get some more.
John K

Post by John K »

Ditto again what Banshi said. I'm still keeping my OEM main in service like many others. I have a couple of rips about that length that I have had to patch as well. If I can offer any advice it would be to first put down some sail tape, then stitch, then put another section of sail tape over the stitch.
1977 C22: Dog House
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

I still use my OEM main.. just got it back from sailcare -- they put in a new "foot rope" really didn't need it but they upsold me on it.. that was about it for what it needed other than a good cleaning and some slides.. ( which fell off anyway)
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343