sail cleaning and roller reefing

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
somers12

sail cleaning and roller reefing

Post by somers12 »

I won't be sailng my 76 c-22 til spring and have her stored some 5 miles away... yet I find I visit her everyday.

I have my motor and sail bag at home (to my wifes dismay) and noticed that my genoa and main are grey in color when compared to my apparently new jib. Is there any method, other than mild soap and water to restore them to more of their natural color?

Also, the idea of roller reefing for my jib and/or genoa intriges me since none of my previous boats have had this capability. Is there anywhere I can purchase one? If not, does anyone have plans to make one.

Thanks... Steve
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

There are a ton of rollers you can adapt to your boat. Keep in mind that normally a roller gib will loose it shape when roller more then 10 percent in, so the sail will not be as efficient as your normal hank on sail. I am not sure that is really an issue with a cruiser. With that being said it is so nice to be able to reef it in instead of changing out the sail
somers12

Post by somers12 »

I'll keep my eyes open on my next visit to the marina. Since my crew (my dog) doesn't listen to sailing instructions worth a damn, I find I have to do everything myself. And roller reefing seems a nice option.

Thanks... Steve
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

You can sometimes find decent deals on Ebay. As far as different models go maybe someone else can chime in. My furler is an older Plastimo. Works great and the head sail is cut to be furled.

All of my sailing is single handed so it does make it nice to be able to furler it.
somers12

Post by somers12 »

Nice hint... I'll check ebay, and any other source I can find. A used furler would probably do just fine.

Steve
Gus

Post by Gus »

I washed my sails in the bathtub. Fill it up with warm water, laundry detergent, and a bit of bleach. Let the sails soak, then without shoes, walk over the sails over and over. Hang outside and rise with a water hose. My sails are white and shiny now.

Gus
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
somers12

Post by somers12 »

Hi Gus. I was concerned because a fella at the marina told me that Dacron sails have some compound sandwiched between two outer layers of Dacron fabric. And according to him, you don't want to disturb this middle layer. I've been sailing for 40 plus years, and this was the first I'd heard about it. I just wanted to make sure I don't make things worse.

I'll give your method a shot... then afterwards, perhaps make some wine.

Thanks... Steve
Gus

Post by Gus »

I was a little dubious too (I found this method in a book) As far as I know, the one 'bad' thing you can do to a dacron sail is to wash it in a washer machine.
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
somers12

Post by somers12 »

Yep... I heard that too. And to never use a dryer. The tub idea and leaving it outside to dry seems the best idea.

Thanks...
STEVE ROYER

ROLLER REEFING

Post by STEVE ROYER »

I HAVE A CDI FLEXABLE FURLER FF6 I SALVAGED FROM MY EASTERLY 31FT
THAT I LOST IN HURICANE KATRINA AND IM GOING TO INSTALL IT ON MY C-26 ,THERE NOT VERY EXPENSIVE AND ITS ALL PVC SO YOU DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT BENT EXTRUSIONS WHEN RAISING & LOWERING THE MAST THERE ARE SMALLER SIZES
somers12

Post by somers12 »

Thanks for the input. I'm assuming it's not for sale since you're reinstalling it on your c26. I'll check google and see what I can find out about it.

Thanks... Steve
STEVE ROYER

Post by STEVE ROYER »

NOT FOR SALE !!! YOU WOULD NEED A SMALLER ONE, THE ONE I HAVE IS OVER KILL FOR MY C26 BUT SINCE I ALREADY HAVE IT IM GOING TO USE IT. IM NOT MUCH IN TO HANKING UP SAILS
STEVE ROYER

Post by STEVE ROYER »

I GOT MY CDI FURLER OFF SAILNET.COM NOW IM LOOKING INTO INSTALLING A ANCHOR ROLLER ON THE BOW AND AN AUTOTILLER THEN TO OFF TO THE PORTLIGHTS ITS A NEVER ENDING UPGRADE WHEN YOUR A SAILOR
somers12

Post by somers12 »

Tell me about it. I figure the wife is going to shoot me, because I need a spare tire and rim, two batteries to run my electric system including the electric start engine, lighting system, and marine radio (which I still don't have), a couple of 13 lb anchors, chains, rodes, etc... On top of that, I have my eye on a C26 that a fellow at the marina seems motivated to sell. Yep, I'm dead!

Steve
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

Look at it this way if she kicks you out of the house at least you have a place to stay :)
somers12

Post by somers12 »

I don't believe half a boat is too floaty.

Steve