New Mainsail C22

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Papax3

New Mainsail C22

Post by Papax3 »

Hey!

This note is intended to detail my new purchase of a mainsail for future benefit.

Chrysler 22 Sandpiper.

I measured the old original sail, and all measurements seemed to be mostly erroneous. The sail was 37 years old, and fell apart like tissue-paper on the foot of the sail closest to the stern... I guess if I flapped in the wind for 37 years, I'd be tired out too. The measurements of this old stretched-out, beat-up sail could only be said to be approximations.

I called "Sailwarehouse", seeing no better price in sight, and asked a fair number of questions, having done some research on my own. They were straightforward, respectful, and answered questions obligingly, and were more than considerate to the fact that I considered this an important purchase. He was out of my sail type, and I was forced to wait an extra 3 weeks for more of the Chrysler plain-jane sails to come in. I almost bit on getting a fully battened sail, and I'm glad I didn't get one in the end. Didn't seem to be any real purpose in it... ours is not a racing vessel, ya know, and the price was an extra $100 (it would have come in sooner than having to wait on the basic sail)? So, to the door, the sail cost exactly $500. It was absolutely rivetingly beautifully made, it's size was perfect (slightly smaller in all dimensions), and I could not have been happier. The sail was not a "generic.... oh... that's about right...mmm... maybe this'll work, kind of deal".... the sail was MADE for a Chrysler 22, and absolutely authentic in all detail. Made me very happy. I did NOT want to get stuck with a generic version... especially one where the foot might be too big for the boom. So performance? Hell if I know. I'm new to sailing. Looking at the sail on the mast, it cupped well, and simply looked like a performance sail in shape, having a very aerodynamic wing airfoil silhoutte. It threaded up the mast well, and took some careful tugging on the boom, but it fit super snug, and had no discouraging wrinkles or saggy spots when under wind... it looked purely bred for my boat. It was 5 wt. dacron, and a little stiff to fold back up... but who cares about that. Seemed very much to me, in the extremely light air that I was in, that the jib is responsible for a great majority of the work of our boats. The jib is nearly the same size as the main on these fractional rigs. The only problem I saw, is it made my older jib look a little sick, because the main was pristine and pure white. I think my jib is a 110% jib, but not made for my boat. I may look into purchasing something else later.... Any suggestions for fat jibs, or genoas on a chrysler?

Bottom Line: perfect product, perfect price. Very happy customer.
I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.
Pulling out the foam in the starboard seats made a difference, too.

Bill Williams
We're just about finished with refurbishing our Chrysler 22, she's slipped, and ready for fun!

Lake Quachita, HotSprings Arkansas
Bill Williams
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Thanks for the report Bill.
As for your older Jib, give it a wash with some Oxyclean.
I have washed my main, 90% and 110% in the last month and they sure look nicer.
Dissolve a scoop of Oxycleen in a half filled bath tub of Warm water.
Place sail in to tub and agitate until all wet, and let soak.
Every half hour agitate and turn the sail.
After two hours (one movie) remove the sail and hang on a line and rinse well with garden hose, and let dry.
-Hank on sails have built-in cloths pins 8)
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
John K

Post by John K »

Bill, thanks for the report!!! My main is pretty worn out, and I have had to repair it a couple of times. I was definitely considering trying Sail Warehouse, so you have put my mind at ease! Now I just need funding :roll: . The last time the Admiral (wife) was onboard, my crew of 2 badgered her a little bit about letting me buy a new sail. Maybe that will help. :)

Thanks again!
1977 C22: Dog House