these boats really can sail!!

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
monty

these boats really can sail!!

Post by monty »

I haven't been able to get much sailing time on my 26 since buying it in '09, the 5 day cruise last fall saw no wind interrupted by one day of 'hang on and hope' winds. Today was different though. Good breeze out of the south (flat water) and another boat to sail against made me appreciate these boats' sail-ability.
The other boat was a '95 Hunter 26 water ballast that I have sailed against in the past with my '95 Macgregor water ballast. He was running his main and jib and I, being the lazy one, was only using my 120 furling genoa. He had more speed than me (big difference in sail area might have something to do with that!) but he found he was pinching to the point of luffing trying to sail close hauled with me, on starboard. When we tacked I could see my genny was much flatter on port tack and with an increasing wind he gave up trying to stay with me and fell off to fill his sails and maintain some speed.
I sailed on alone hitting 5.7kt on the gps while close hauled on the way back to the slip.
Overall this is a great boat! My wife was on for a sail yesterday and remarked how much more relaxed the boat felt compared to the Mac! Truly a 'good old boat'
Here's a link to a video shot today, I hope it works.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rd400g/585 ... hotostream
Messing About
78 C26D (I added the 'D' cause it's got the Volvo diesel!) #490
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Way to go, Monty! Nice video and how sweet is that maneuverability?!

Thanks for sharing!!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
monty

Post by monty »

only problem is, with the Martec folding prop I put on, I have almost no reverse thrust! I'm going to go back to the stock prop next time I pull the boat out and put up with the drag and noise when the prop starts turning at 4kt.
Messing About
Tommy Monaco

Post by Tommy Monaco »

Absolutely! I love the maneuverability of our beauties. Last week we took some friends out (they have a Pearson 35 with a wheel). After stopping at a fuel dock for a little extra, we pulled away and cranked on the tiller to turn 180. I saw them exchange a glance which could only be described as equal parts amazement and jealousy at the speed and nimbleness that has become a hallmark of our vessels. Beautiful sailing indeed. I'm still playing with swing keel position to optimize righting force vs. hydrodynamic drag, but that's part of the fun.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Very nice and thanks for sharing the video!

Yes, our Chryslers are really nice handling boats! I love the way they sail and handle in tight quarters!

Your 26 looks great!

Scott
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

Now that's what I call cutting holes it the water. Aka: milling about smartly.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Nice video Monty and quite often I will use my 170 genoa I can even tack with the genny alone but not as well as full sails.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

Nice video... they made such a big deal about the J-24 being able to turn around in its own radius and sailing "like a dinghy" well... so does the chrysler...

I would love some pics and more details onthe inboard volvo deisel... I have been planning this (upgrade?) fro some time and already have the OEM saildrive...
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
monty

Post by monty »

If you look through my photos you will find a couple of pics from inside that show the diesel. What it doesn't show is how much room is taken up by the engine enclosure when it is in place.

I removed my galley and re-located it forward on the port side against the bulkhead. I did that to be able to access the diesel from all four sides.

Engine access from two sides was okay for the first thirty years, I suppose, but I've had to spend a lot of quality time with her lately!!
Messing About
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

Color me green with envy. I see some boats in our marina turn like that, but with a fixed outboard, no way for me.
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

the key is prop thrust going over the rudder.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
KeithR

Post by KeithR »

Yesterday I found out the C-22 is not slouch in 10kt winds. A friend in a Catalina 25 tried to catch me, and while it wasn't a fast get-away, we slowly pulled away from him on a broad reach, then caught him when we came back down the lake close hauled.

Granted part of that might have been sail trim, but I like to think it was the boat and in this case, the crew as my wife was the skipper. :lol:

A couple of people have approached me and asked if I was interested in racing Lucky during the local Yacht Club races, while I've never been much of a racer, I must say, the thought is appealing.