First Chrysler Cluster

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

First Chrysler Cluster

Post by hp18carr »

One person's perspective of the first Eastern Chrysler Cluster, first off my many thanks to both Jeffs that were there and the WLSC for the warm welcome. I was given a little look-see at Windward and a number of its mods... outstanding. My days at the lake were hit and miss, with work at the cabin always needing to be done.

Med week the other Jeff was kind enough to give me my first taste of true on the water sailing in his C22 and was courteous enough not to LOL at my fumbling. :oops: Sadly we had to leave early Saterday.

Just looking at the numbers of who made it to this cluster maybe disappointing, but meeting other members of the Chrysler forum and getting some real time sailing experience in the process, my time there ended in the plus category. This was the first one, so those who wanted to come and were not able... how about we try this again next year? 8) Here are a couple of photos from Jeff's C22 out on Lake Watauga, Jeff is forward making sure I don't run into any other boats. The last one is back at the dock showing we made it back in one piece. With me at the helm there was no guarantee. :shock:

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
John K

Post by John K »

I want that Bimini!
1977 C22: Dog House
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LeatherneckPA »

I am SO glad this worked out for a few people. I absolutely will be attending next year with Believer.

And I agree with JohnK, I want details on that bimini!

ETA: Who all made it?
Iron Mike - Semper Fidelis
Jack of all trades, Master of none
1978 C-22: Believer
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Really wish I could have made it, hopeful for next year!!!!

O.K. I'm in on the bimini! Fess-up. That looks great!!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
skyking

Post by skyking »

Glad you guys ahd a good time...I got home from Canada with a 103.5 temp..not much of a weekend here...
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

OUCH! Be well, Tim!
Mark
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

John K, best 150.00 Iv'e ever spent. Ebay, 149.00 including shipping. Put it on for the Fla trip, and I can't imagine the boat without it. The boat can be sailed very well with the main reefed while the bimini is in use.
Don't let terrance fool ya, he did a fine job and I hope he is inspired to go home and finish his 26. We could use another Chrysler on the lake. :D
1977 Chrysler 22
Ground to windward is dearly bought, but easly spent.
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Any chance you can point us to which one you got? Sure looks nice!
Mark
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Jmckamey

The inspirational flames are burning bright, but my C26 overhaul is more akin to running a marathon... than a hundred yard dash. Not that this will detour me from my goal of sailing the waters of Watauga lake but as with many things in life... all in good time.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
mariner

Post by mariner »

mcrandall wrote:Any chance you can point us to which one you got? Sure looks nice!
Wow I love it looks like is was made for the C22', any details are sure appreciated!
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Not to much to tell ya on the details, It worked right out of the box. It's the three bow 6 foot top, 46 inches high and is made to fit a 79 to 84 inch beam. It came with the support struts, all the mounting hardware and a cover with zipper. I can use it with the main reefed, I lay it down forward for a full main, and all the way back for transport on the trailer and storage. When deployed the top clears the mainsheet and boom vang, and also covers the companion way hatch, which is real nice for overnighters with the hatch open. One draw back for you guys, or gals on the coast, is the frame is not s/s.
I ordered it on ebay on a Sunday evening and it showed up at my house Tuesday afternoon, with free shipping. The ebay store name is Boatarama, and they are out of Burkesville KY. I just looked there store and the deal is a little different, 124.00 and 14 shipping, 6 one way and a half dozen another.
It's not a high dollar top, but it sure works well and keeps the cockpit a lot cooler.
1977 Chrysler 22
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Well I too made it however I was not fortunate enough to run into anyone. I am pretty sure I saw Windward anchored early Sunday morning as we made a mad dash to the marina to get in ahead of the Sunday crowd coming out. It was pretty early and I was not sure anyone would be awake plus the wife was in a real hurry to avoid the crowd so we kept on going. We still had a great time and will be back for sure, here are few picks I managed to take along the way
Yes a 22 can pass under the tn 67 bridge
Most NE end of the lake
A flock of birds passing by at sunrise
The bridge at a distance during sunrise
The sun creeps above the horizon...
I believe Windward is on the opposite side of the lake behind this outcrop of trees.

We got to the lakeshore marina at 10:00 AM Sat. After realizing I was about to step my mast on the wrong side of the power lines we moved and the launch went smoothly though the ramp would be a challenge to most. We motored up past the bridge until the wind picked up then sailed to the NE end and made a beat back to where we anchored for the night, a cove on the north side of the lake. I did some swimming and we grilled some diner then put down for the night. We got up early and had the boat ready to hit the road by 9:30 AM getting us home about 8 PM.

I would recommend a little earlier in the year, early to mid may or much later, September perhaps, as the heat without any shade was a bit hard on the wife. Of course hitting the water is always an option just remember that boarding ladder as the freeboard on these boats makes it a little rough on 48 year old 300 lb men to get back on board.....................boy was it refreshing though :)
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Thanks Jeff!

Think I found it here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-Bow-Ne ... iesQ5fGear

Sweet!
Mark
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Ah, you guys rock!

Thanks for the photos.

Hey we all get together the best we can. If two or more people it was a success in my opinion. We all have lives outside of our Chryslers. Shocking I know but it's true.

Every year I plan way in advance to put a Chrysler gathering together. Then life jumps in and I get derailed and I does not happen. Hope springs eternal for me though. This Summer, maybe next Summer, I will get it put together and if 1 person shows it will be a wonderful day. If more show that would be fantastic. If I'm the only one who makes it, well it would still be a good day sailing.

These photos look fantastic. I wish I could have afforded to come along just to meet folks, crewing would just be icing on the cake.

Thanks for sharing this, I love it.
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Mark, The top you have marked does not come with the support struts. If you want them,(I recommend them) I saw one that has them a couple of items down for 129.00 plus 14.00 shp.
1977 Chrysler 22
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Banshi, Sorry we missed you. Had no idea you were at the lake. The wife and I came up saturday afternoon and attended the sailing club cook out with Terrance and Jeff. Thought we were the only ones there from this group. We hung out on the boat for a while afterwards then headed for the house. Jeff headed out on windward for the night.
Yes it was hot! It's been unusally hot for a couple weeks now and looks like it will be that way for a while longer. Normally, the highs around here are around 80 and lows of 60 this time of the year. I have seen memorial day weekends wet and cold. It's always a craps shot around here when it comes to the weather.
1977 Chrysler 22
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Banshi

We were pulling out around the time you were pulling in, nice photos of the lake, hope to see more faces next time around. If I can get it past the first mate a mid-week cookout at our cabin maybe a good idea.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Thanks for the catch, Jeff!

Didn't see that at all. Thanks for helping me out there--hate to be misleading folks!

So let's try this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-BIMI ... iesQ5fGear

Please double check me on this again, Jeff!

Thanks a bunch!!!!

Mark
Mark
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

That's the one!! :D
1977 Chrysler 22
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Cool! Thanks Jeff, great idea and a great price! :D
Mark
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Thanks for the picts Banshi!

I expected it to be a lot less mountainous for some reason... Really nice!
Windward

Post by Windward »

So that WAS you in the beautiful red boat! I mentioned to my wife that some bastard had a lot of nerve having paint that was so much prettier than what Windward's has become (Hmmm. Sail or paint? Sail or paint? Oh! I know that one....)

Memorial Day weekend involved significant home carnage, ripping about 25 sq ft of drywall out of the ceiling to expose suddenly incontinent copper pipes. The cutting and soldering was marginally satisfying. Finally made it back to the dock about 9 PM, just in time to head east and drop the hook for the evening.

The following Saturday we were car hunting -- we ended up at the lake slightly less late, and actually had the anchor down before dark. Had I known you were there I'd have brought the dinghy, hailed you on VHF and at least dropped by for a visit.

I also learned that Chrysler sailors seem to have quite a penchant for reuse of a limited number of items. Jeff McKamey and I share a first name, Terrence's wife's name is Terry, Terrence and Jeff both named their daughters Meghan (not sure if they spell it the same, of course). Of course, all of our boats have different names ;^)
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Sounds like you all had some fun!
I sure appreciate the sharing of the photos!

. . .and yes, that bimini is very nice looking!

Scott
Windward

Post by Windward »

It was great to see Terrence again, and the soldering was fun in an abstract way. Not looking forward to the drywall work, though. I feel bad about having Banshi come all that way and only see other Chryslers from a distance. Everyone, be sure you PM me if you'll be in our area so I can give you my cell phone number. Of course, VHF-16 usually works too.

If schedule, household emergencies and budget holds up, I'm planning to take Windward to Pamlico Sound / OBX again this fall. Maybe I'll see a few more ChryslerCultCruisers there.