New member - 1978 C-22

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
KeithR

New member - 1978 C-22

Post by KeithR »

Found this website while searching for answers for the C-22 Halyard tails. Looks like a good site with lots of participation and lots of Chrysler experts.

Anyone know for sure what the size of line to use for the halyard tails. I have two different versions of the C-22 owner's manual, but neither have the line size.

I'm planning to run all the lines to the cockpit and it is time to replace this part of the running rigging anyhow.
Windward

Post by Windward »

Welcome aboard! 5/16 will work pretty well. That's the oem size for the C-26 and I believe the C-22, and anything smaller may prove too thin to grab properly. No danger in going to 3/8", which is easier to hang onto, just heavier and more expensive.
KeithR

Post by KeithR »

Thanks loads for the information, I appreciate it.

I've also been told a C-22 can't be knocked down, I know both my son (last year) and my wife (last weekend) have sure tried. I do know the boat is built like a tank, but she can sure move for a boat with it's length.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

I use 3/8ths for my tails. JUst put the eyes in my new lines last night!

Welcome aboard!

Scott
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Welcome to the Chrysler Brain Trust KeithR!

My C-22 is rigged with 5/16" halyards but it is clearly not OEM rigging.

Now I ALWAYS follow 69Shark and Winward's advice basically without question. Problem is Winward says 5/16" and 69shark says 3/8". :shock:

Talk about on the horns of a dilemma :?: Well on closer examination I'm thinking Winward is leaning a little bit toward 3/8" and 69shark is solid in the 3/8" camp. So when the time comes to refit my lines I'll be using 3/8" halyard lines. :wink:

Now for something really important... to us, that is...

Whats the name of your boat?

And the most important of all... TAKE lots of pictures and post them. This includes before shots, mid project shots and finished project shots. We all learn from these and the true Old Salts here on the forum will notice the darnedest things that have saved me lots of money, time, effort and a more more efficient, solid boat overall.

I post even stuff I am 100% sure I've got nailed down perfect and sure enough, I'll get 2 or 3 excellent revisions to my plan just about every time by our Chrysler colleges. There the best!

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

KeithR

Wait a moment. You have 2 different C-22 Owners Manuals. :shock: HELLO!

I don't suppose I/we could impose upon your newly minted membership in the Chrysler Sailboat forum to Scan these lovely, likely one of which I have never before seen, Manuals? If possible in a PDF format, hope-hope, wonder-wonder, please.

We have a new place on the forum to post these documents for everyone once we have a copy to post.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Nice catch Alan!

Hey KeithR,
If you go to our home at page chryslersailors.com
clcik on the "documents" tab then Chrysler, then C22 and look at that manual, if you have a different one, we'd love to scan it and add it to our collection!

If you have the ability to scan and send to us that would be great, if not and if you are willing to temporarily offer up your manual, I have the ability to scan and would happily and promptly return the manual and thank you for the very short term use of it! That would go for ANY Chrysler sail or outboard original documents you might have!!

Oh yeah, about them Halyard tails, The C22 clearly calls for 3/8 line for the sheets but the tails are left off! If you do not have turning blocks on the deck and your lines are not led aft then just about any low stretch line will work as long as it is not to big for the cleats on the mast. I used 3/8 because of comfort on the hands. However if your lines are led aft and you have to feed this line through turning blocks, clutches, or anything like that, then size the line to fit your blocks!

Again, Welcome to the forum!!

Scot
John K

Post by John K »

Welcome Keith! I use 3/8" yacht braid and am very pleased with it.
1977 C22: Dog House
Andiron120
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Andiron120 »

The PO of Catch 22 used 1/2" line for the halyards. The halyards are also one piece instead of the OEM setup. I have been very happy with it and makes it easier on the hands which is somthing I need all the help I can get with. I also use 1/2" sheets. Expensive to replace but easier to handle.
"I feel no need to go anywhere the ice gets larger than will fit in my glass"
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Welcome aboard !
al the pal

Post by al the pal »

Where around the Kansas City do you sail? Or is your boat in Florida?
1979 C-26
My Boat Overhaul Blog: http://alexadrift.wordpress.com/
KeithR

Post by KeithR »

Alanhod wrote:KeithR

Wait a moment. You have 2 different C-22 Owners Manuals. :shock: HELLO!

I don't suppose I/we could impose upon your newly minted membership in the Chrysler Sailboat forum to Scan these lovely, likely one of which I have never before seen, Manuals? If possible in a PDF format, hope-hope, wonder-wonder, please.

We have a new place on the forum to post these documents for everyone once we have a copy to post.

Thanks
Alan
I have a pdf of the one here in the documents section (revision 3-75) and I have a badly water damaged 1978/9 copy of the same manual found on the lizards.net website. Their copy is in much better condition than mine, as many of my pages are un-readable due to smeared ink.

Personally, I like the earlier manual better.
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

I use 3/8's on my 22, but they may be a little over kill. I find the halyards get a little hung up in the cleats on the mast when striking sails. If I were to do it again I think I would go with 5/16. I'm sure that cleared things up :lol:
1977 Chrysler 22
Ground to windward is dearly bought, but easly spent.
KeithR

Post by KeithR »

al the pal wrote:Where around the Kansas City do you sail? Or is your boat in Florida?
Currently, Lucky II is in a slip at Smithville Lake. We do have plans to visit at least Stockton Lake sometime this summer.
KeithR

Post by KeithR »

Alanhod wrote:Whats the name of your boat?

Lucky II, but that is the name the PO gave the boat. Haven't decided if we will change it or not.
Alanhod wrote:And the most important of all... TAKE lots of pictures and post them. This includes before shots, mid project shots and finished project shots. We all learn from these and the true Old Salts here on the forum will notice the darnedest things that have saved me lots of money, time, effort and a more more efficient, solid boat overall.

I post even stuff I am 100% sure I've got nailed down perfect and sure enough, I'll get 2 or 3 excellent revisions to my plan just about every time by our Chrysler colleges. There the best!

I took every bit of "wood" off of Lucky over the winter and replaced the bulkheads and table with "real" wood and refinished the teak trim and companionway opening using teak oil outside and poly inside.

The P.O. appearantly didn't secure the rudder while transporting the boat and ground it down to expose the plywood core and I had to repair, re-glass and paint it as well. The tiller looked like a sawed off 2" x 2" stick that was 24" long. I built my own 48" long tiller out of white oak. I'm thinking about making a new laminated one out of white oak, African mahogany and koa wood. Also when the P.O. drug the rudder down the highway, it appears he damaged the tiller post stuffing gland. I re-glassed it, but the epoxy repair ran and it looks like s*%#, so I'll have to re-do that "sometime". When I took her out last fall, the rudder was extremely difficult to move, possibily because of the rudder damage, but this spring, I put a piece of UHMW (think of white slick plastic cutting board material) between the stuffing tube gland and the tiller head. You can't believe how easy the tiller moves now and the UHMW will act like a wear surface. Then again, maybe I always have the sails trimmed perfect and the UHMW isn't doing a darned thing. If anyone is interested, I'll get a few pictures of the change and post those as well.

I've already rigged a "jiffy reef" system, replaced the (missing) battens, mended the original sails (ok, my wife mended the sail and she is making new cushion covers), installed a new boom vang, and now I'm replacing the standing and running rigging of the boat. I'm leaning toward the 5/16" poly braided line. That will allow me to use smaller (and cheaper) turning blocks to run the controls back to the cockpit and to allow my wife to use the winch to raise the sail if she single hands the boat.

I am building and installing my own Bimini Top and because of the position of the main sheet traveler, I might move it mid-boom above the cabin top to give me more shade coverage. Since I bang my head on the boom every time I move around in the cockpit, I don't think the bimini top hight will bother me too much, and maybe it will cushion my mellon.

Hopefully by the end of summer I will have a pressurized water system for a sliding galley of my own design and a shower in the cockpit with hot and cold running water.

Projects for later this summer or next year:
Paint the hull as the current paint is ablative.
Fix all of the spider cracks on the topsides.
Identify and repair a few small leaks I have that seem to be comming in around the toe rail.
A removable folding cockpit table.
Installing a topping lift if I can figure out where and how.

All it takes is time and money....

My current problem is whether to sail or to upgrade. :roll:

I have taken quite a few pictures and I'll post them in a few days.

Thanks to all for the very warm welcome to the group and sorry for the long winded reply!
sharps4590

Post by sharps4590 »

Hey Keith! Welcome to the forum! I'll defer the quesitons to the experts on site....cuz I'm far from expert!!!!! (this is my second year sailing). I sail at Stockton and have a slip at the State Park Marina. If you get down there look up the "Shirley Jean", that'll be us! She's a blue Cat-22 and is docked at the next to last series of docks to the left and away from the main office and store. I'm usually there only on weekends but occasionally hit it mid-week. We're launching the weekend after Mothers Day then it's off for a summer of sailing. Hope to hook up!
There is no right way to do a wrong thing
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Excellent! Welcome aboard! Looking forward to hearing more about those projects. Shower, eh? Interesting!

Cheers!

Mark
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

WOW!

Looking forward to seeing picts of all that work!

Billy
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Welcome aboard.
Sounds like your building yourself quite a little yacht. 8)
But it's sailing season now, take the time to use her and think through the next upgrades.
I know I've been glad that I've waited on some projects until after we had some time on the boat, and how we used it, rethink options/locations etc.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place