Dimpling damage?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dimpling damage?

Post by hp18carr »

Dimpling damage as noted by Jeff on the C26 for sale on Ebay, my older eyes missed it. Is such damage common among roller type trailers if the sailboat is left on the trailer for an extended amount of time? If so I'll need to get my C26 off the trailer sooner than I had planed. :?

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
sauerleigh

Post by sauerleigh »

I recall reading somewhere that bunks are better than rollers for supporting a curved hull. Power boats tend to have flatter sections and the triangular running strakes that run along the bottom add to the strength of the bottom. On a curved section if the load is not evenly distributed you will end up stressing the hull, bunks if properly setup spread the load out over a larger area.
I think I said that right.
1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never
Anhinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Anhinga »

The ebay boat is showing some dimpling from the rollers but I think it's more from the missing keel rollers that are supposed to support the weight. The side rollers only hold the boat upright on a proper trailer and will not cause dimples. I have a roller trailer on my 26 and no dimples in spite of a longer "season" on the trailer! It also looks as if the side roller "towers" are splayed a bit outward from the wedge action of the hull trying to drive them apart. That trailer is a mess and not set up to haul any distance without damage to the hull.

IMHO but I'm sticking to it!

-Jim
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Thanks for the insight guys... my trailer is most likely sufficient, but I'll use this as am excuse to spend a little more money to get her off the trailer... all for medicinal reasons of course. :) Here is an old as I found her photo with trailer.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
SN691
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SN691 »

When I was taking out the linner inside the boat I noticed that the hull was reinforced in the bow where my rollers were on the outside of the hull. The reinforcement went behind the bulkheads so could not see how far it ran back to the stern. So if you have bunks or rollers they will sit on the reinforcement. So if your rollers or bunks are ajusted right you should not get dimples.
That is my thought any way.
Bob

1979 C-26

Easy Street

~~~_/)~~~