Rudder Bearing Replacement

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
dave1950

Rudder Bearing Replacement

Post by dave1950 »

I own a 26 footer with a fixed keel. I bought two rudder bearings from Idasailor and am looking for anyone who has dropped their rudder to replace those parts. I'm looking for an exploded view before I take mine apart.

Thanks,

Dave
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Welcome aboard the group Dave.

I have mine apart for repairs, will get you pics and some disassembly notes before the weekend. Need a measurement of how long the shaft is so you know how high to lift the stern to remove it ?

Beau
keysskipper

Post by keysskipper »

we bought the Idasailor rudder with "free" bearings, easy job, took 15 minutes on the hard, some people do it in the water, we did have to have the travel lift pick her up even higher keel was resting on block have to go up about 2 feet. Good Luck! Keysskipper
dave1950

Post by dave1950 »

That's great. Thanks for the replies. I look forward to seeing any images you can share. Also it's good to know that it may only take 15 minutes. Finally, a job that is quick. Right now the boat is in the water so depending on what is involved I may try to replace the upper bearing right there.

Dave
keysskipper

Post by keysskipper »

If you have the original rudder, it should be a floater, anyway when you
take of the tiller head, secure the rudder post to be safe, loosening the screws was the hard part then just slide her in. If you replace the rudder get the Idasailor it is all they say it is! Fair Winds, Keysskipper

Pics of "Rag Time" coming soon to a screen near you 8)
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Pics for you on our web site at:

http://www.home.bellsouth.net/personalp ... P-sailtalk

There is a link on the front page that says "site last updated here" that will take you to the right page. Or drill down to "Post Katrina Restoration", "Rudder Page 2"

Mine is a mess, looks like it bounced on the dock during the storm surge.
dave1950

Post by dave1950 »

Wow, Beau, you've got a really nice website. The photo's are great too. This job is going to be easier then I though now that I've seen what's involved. While our rudders are different I'm sure the interior set up is the same. To Keysskipper, I'll be using the original rudder so knowing that it may float is good to know too. I think I'll slide a burlap bag over the bottom of the rudder and attach it to the boat with lines. That way if it gets away from me it won't slide too far.

Dave