Roller furling headsail

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
RGS

Roller furling headsail

Post by RGS »

I have a Sandpiper C-22 and need a roller furling headsail for it I believe I need a #5 luff tape.

Thanks for your help
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Group, I just found this thread down in the Starwinds Wanted section and moved it here for replies
EE
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Check Atlantic sail traders
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Hi RGS,

Sorry I did not see this thread till now.

I looked into a roller furller for my C-22 back when I first got her. I found it could be done with lots of money. More money than I paid for the boat that is. I decided not to get the Roller Furller. Sure it would be nice but not really necessary. I thought sailing alone it would be a must.

Nope, I sail alone all the time. I tie the tiller off and raise the sails alone. Then when I'm done I head into the wind, put the boat in irons, tie off the tiller and take the sails down.

Now an auto tiller, that would be worth the investment to keep her in line while my sails are going up or coming down.

Basically I figured $1500 to $2000 for a Roller Furller or $400 for an Autotiller. I would get far more use out of the Autotiller then the Roller Furller. Plus I got good at doing the sails single handed as a novice sailor. I'm claiming to be an a rank amateur sailor now. :lol: And after only 2 years of sailing my C-22 I gave myself that promotion. :lol: :lol:

Try it you'll like it.

I could not find a photo of how I stow the Jib on the deck in the pulpit when I head out for a day of sailing. See this photo for refrance.
I clip all the clips from the jib onto the forestay. I then hook on the halyard from the mast to the top of the jib. I then run a bungee cord from one side of the pulpit to the other, over the folded up jib laying on the deck sitting inside the rails of the pulpit. I get out to sea, pull off my bungee and haul on tha halyard and my jib is up in like 2 minutes. It comes down just as easy and the bungee goes back on the jib and I sail home. I put the jib in its bag at the dock and stow it in the cabin. Easy Peasy.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Alan, I like the way you have rigged the jib to clear the railings. I'm going to see if I have enough room to do the same. Looks like it makes life easy on those expensive sails.

I just noticed you have a pop top boat. Do you have the inclosure that can be used with it? A friend of mine has a pop top and I wanted to show him what one looks like. I think I could sew one.
1977 Chrysler 22
Ground to windward is dearly bought, but easly spent.
back2class

Post by back2class »

Jmckamey wrote:Alan, I like the way you have rigged the jib to clear the railings. I'm going to see if I have enough room to do the same. Looks like it makes life easy on those expensive sails.
Doing that will throw your boat off balance some. You wan that sail low if at all possible. Can be a little obtuse at times though.
c-22
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

That's acute statement.... :oops: :wink:
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

I find I can indeed sail closer to the wind when the jib is down on deck.

It is up about 24 inches for my convenience only, not for performance. Someone eles pointed out that my having it up off the deck like that moved my force of the wind and sail hire which was not good.

To be honest I sailed with it up off the deck like this for a year and I like it. Many a boat, not a Chrysler, in my size can't get away form me when I'm chasing them down. I've had several other boat styles comment on that. I even had 1 Chrysler 22 that I was able to catch, but my sail was down on the deck that day. Come to think of it that was the last day I sailed with the jib down on the deck.

I like the view better with it up off the deck. The sail does not get banged up on the pulpit ether. Tacking is easier with everything over the railings. To be honest I don't notice any balance issue. This may be that I'm just not that good a sailor to notice the difference in balance. The nice thing about the way I rig it is I can drop it back down on deck real fast with my setup if I want to while under way. It's just a nylon rope about 2 foot long with stainless connectors on both ends.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing