Jib halyard

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
SN691
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jib halyard

Post by SN691 »

Have any of you that have a c-26 changed the jib halyard if so
what size of line did you use. I need to replace my jib halyard, it looks like
5/16 in. but what I can fined is that every thing says 3/8 in. :?:
Bob

1979 C-26

Easy Street

~~~_/)~~~
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I had 5/16 on mine originally when purchased, but went with the 3/8 - it is only a sixteenth difference but it was what was in the original manual as near as I could tell.

Beau
SN691
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SN691 »

EmergencyExit wrote:I had 5/16 on mine originally when purchased, but went with the 3/8 - it is only a sixteenth difference but it was what was in the original manual as near as I could tell.

Beau
How did you tie the new 3/8 line onto the 5/16 line and pull it thru the mast?

Bob
Bob

1979 C-26

Easy Street

~~~_/)~~~
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Bob,
My halyards are all external - part wire, part line so I was splicing into an eye on the end of the wire portion. So to replace mine (with the mast up and to not lose one end up the mast) I tied some spare line on the sail end of the wire halyard so I could pull the old line down the mast, attach the new, and then use the spare line to pull everything back.

If yours is internal to the mast and you are going to replace it all , I'd probably get a short length of small line and a needle and pull it thru the ends of the old and new to tie them together, then pull the new thru with the old.

Let me know if I missed the question here, I've been very dense today !

beau
SN691
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SN691 »

Beau

I contacted the previous owner and his halyard were on the outside of mast when he bought the boat new. He did not like the banning of the halyards on the mast at night when thay spent the night on the boat. So he ran his jib halyard into the mast about 4 inches below the pully on the mast head and back out of the mast about 3 feet from the bottom of mast and the spinnaker topping lift into the mast and back out at the bottom. he changed jib halyard from 3/8 to 5/16 so he would not have to cut a bigger hole into the mast. So I think I will go with the 5/16 halyard because of the size of the pulleys he inserted into the mast

Bob
Bob

1979 C-26

Easy Street

~~~_/)~~~