some basic trailer info needed for this new guy

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
back2class

some basic trailer info needed for this new guy

Post by back2class »

Hello again

I am trying to get my trailer setup for the trip home for this new to me 22. It is really too small, but I have 13.5' from the ball to the axle, so I am pretty sure I can get the boat centered properly weight wise over the axle. From looking at the pics of these on single axle jobs, it seems like the "sweet spot" for the boat is for it to sit over the axle about 12' back from the tip of the bow. I think that will give me almost 2' between the bow and the back of my SUV. Not ideal, but fine to get it home and perhaps do some alterations when home and set it up perfect. The trailer is pretty heavy duty and I have a 9' tounge extension to get it deep enough to load it. It will be about 65 miles on country roads.

I have a few questions that would be a HUGE help if I had the answers.

1) can enyone tell me the real measurement on where the sweet spot over the axle is measured back from the bow. (not inc. pulpit) on single axle setups?

2) Will 4 10"x10 pads (2 on each side of hull) be ok, or will I need more support to not deflect the hull fiberglass too much? More than 4 gets tricky to setup without the boat present.

3)How far past the bow does the bow pulpit stick out?

Perhaps one day soon I will have something to contribute, but right now I am a little lost.

Thanks
Last edited by back2class on Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
c-22
skyking

Post by skyking »

Take a look at this previous post on this subject...

It might help answer some of your questions..I have a fixed keel so I dont think my information will help??

Good Luck & welcom aboard!!

viewtopic.php?t=1858&start=0&postdays=0 ... highlight=
back2class

Post by back2class »

skyking wrote:Take a look at this previous post on this subject...

It might help answer some of your questions..I have a fixed keel so I dont think my information will help??

Good Luck & welcom aboard!!

viewtopic.php?t=1858&start=0&postdays=0 ... highlight=
Thanks, between that thread and another I was able to piece some info together. One thread mentioned that the keel to stern distance was 73" and the keel was 67". If that info is correct, and the info in this thread that the sweet spot is 32" from the back of the keel is correct.......With the boat being a few inches under 22', that puts the sweet spot right at around 12.5' from the bow. If someone can verify that would be wonderful?
c-22
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

See if this helps...............

Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

Banshi, I'm impressed once again. Thanks for the great drawing. It's helpful for many of us (who will now be going out with a tape maeasure, in the snow, and seeing if our rigs coincide)!

Paul
Tranquil Chaos
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: some basic trailer info needed for this new guy

Post by Capt. Bondo »

back2class wrote: 3)How far past the bow does the bow pulpit stick out?
The pulpit sticks out I would guess about 8", but unless you have a very high SUV the pulpit will be well over the roof.
I tow with a full size E150 Ford van and the deck of the boat is almost even with the van's roof when on the trailer.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
back2class

Post by back2class »

Thanks guys.
Anyone have that actual measurement though? I am right on the cusp of having to cut and weld a new neck on the trailer. If the sweet spot is 13' or less from the tip of bow I will be ok. Just a 10' piece of steel to carry as a tounge extension for launch will be all I ever need and the trailer can be left as is. That would save me a great deal of work and money. Not having the boat here is a real pain. From the pics I see, scaled out I am seeing 13-14' on average.
I have a feeling my 13' will be ok, worst case would be to pack the 7.5hp outboard and gear up in the bow area. What would ya'll do? Drive is 2 hours each way, not to mention the ramp time and the few miles on water to get the boat to the ramp. In other words a real headache if it ends up with negative tounge weight. Even 40-50lbs. toung weight would be ok for this trip. Even if someone here has 14' over the axles and several hundred lbs. tounge weight, I know 13 would be ok. :? :?

Thanks

Banshi
Did you mention somewhere that you left the front axle and boat where they were positioned when it was still a single axle deal? I that is the case, your detailed plans (thank you by the way) show you had a little less than 12' ahead of the axle. How was the tounge weight at that?
By the way, your boat and setup looks great.
c-22
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

No, I split the two axles on the original single axle center line location. Boat however remains in the the same location as designated on the drawing. I gave some pretty detailed measurements that you should, I think, be able to get the distance you need. LeatherneckPA used this drawing to help set his up and it ended up almost perfect when we loaded it. Center of axle load to front of boat on mine appr. 13-0 because the bow actually is past the roller by about 10" to a foot. Sounds like you might be ok, my tongue weight is several hundred pounds, I can barely lift it.
2nd generation

Post by 2nd generation »

Finally got out and measured hope it isn't to late. My boat sits on the original Chrysler trailer. It measure about 155" (12.9') from the center of the axle to the tip of the bow. It measures about 148" (12.3') from the center of the axle to the bow eye where the winch strap hooks. I'm not sure of the tounge weight but I tow with a 9.9 two stroke Nissan outboard with electric start on the stern and the tounge weight feels right.
Mike
(former owner of) 1975 C-22 "Mel-O"
back2class

Post by back2class »

2nd generation wrote:Finally got out and measured hope it isn't to late. My boat sits on the original Chrysler trailer. It measure about 155" (12.9') from the center of the axle to the tip of the bow. It measures about 148" (12.3') from the center of the axle to the bow eye where the winch strap hooks. I'm not sure of the tounge weight but I tow with a 9.9 two stroke Nissan outboard with electric start on the stern and the tounge weight feels right.
Thanks everyone. This thread has been a huge help!!!!! Great people and advice.
Between all the info, I now can feel safe in not having lengthen the trailer tounge. It is 3x4 square tube, I was going to cut it and add a self storing extension that would slide in and be adjustable from 2'-4'. Then build a second one that was 11' that would store on the trailer. Kind of like a giant reciever hitch. Would have been about $180 in steel, plus alot of welding and cutting. Now I can get away with using a simple extension pole that has a ball on the end that will slide into the trailer tounge a bit. Just some scrap and about an hour to weld up.

I will post pics and let you all know how it turns out in a few weeks.
c-22
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
back2class

Post by back2class »

Getting ready to bring her home. Took a few hours today to weld and otherwise start to convert this powerboat trailer to sailboat use. The big rusty pipe lying on it is a tounge extension. Still have to add some more crossmembers and relocate the winch post. With any luck the boat will safely make it home on this setup.
c-22
Kevin Dreher

Post by Kevin Dreher »

nice good luck
get n lost
back2class

Post by back2class »

Slight delay
The cross supports I used I guess were old bed frame rails. I did not realize this untill I was ready to pick up today and had to drill some holes to attach things. The stuff cuts and seemed to weld just fine??? Dulled about 30 good quaity drill bits in the process. Checked the welds and a few were brittle. Better safe than sorry. Will only take a few hours to re-do. I wasn't happy with the distance between posts anyhow, so now I get to fix that too. Just a lesson for any of you trailer re-builders, BEWARE of using bed rails as they are super hard, weld poorly and don't like to be drilled.
Quite frustrated but life goes on.
c-22