trying to get equipped!

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
squint

trying to get equipped!

Post by squint »

Ahoy mateys,

My foul wench, Ms Fortune, has sat in my driveway for 2 years. I am now on The Big Push to get it "sorted" and rigged for next season. I'd like to have it on the trailer, ready for an early launch next year.

Backround:
Overpaid for a "salvage" boat that was reassembled and rigged after the 8th rum & coke. Boat is incomplete, poorly rigged but has a 5k paint job (long story). Has a cobble together rear-mount rudder.

Here are the projects I'm undertaking, and would like to document here over the next few months:

-Replace rear-mount rudder with a "kick-up" one from a Catalina 22, Venture 21 or equivalent. I do like the rear-mount setup... it gives more room in the cockpit.
-Drop keel & replace keel pin & brackets Trey still has some brackets left, so I'm going to bit the bullet. I also want to fair my keel, which looks like crap. Any advice on how to do that would be great. The previous owner used Bondo, water got behind it and it is flaking off.
-Mast work My boat has a 35' tapered racing mast. I need to cut at least 5' off... it is absurd.
-Roller furling CDI or Harken? Opinions please
-Cushions. Have none. Need some old ratty cushion covers to use as templates... anyone have any?
-Galley Don't have one. Going to make one... wicked fun.

Advice... thoughts... speculation... insinuation?

Biggest bonus would be finding someone with a Chrysler they are parting out.[/b]
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

1. Was the rum Myer's dark ?
2. It wasn't Diet Coke was it ?

<g>
squint

Post by squint »

EmergencyExit wrote:1. Was the rum Myer's dark ?
2. It wasn't Diet Coke was it ?

<g>
It wasn't me, so I can't say exactly what the "mix" was. I doubt he was fussy though... All evidence points to "whatever was cheap, whatever was on hand"

:wink:
Archy

Post by Archy »

HI !

Ah, the bottle talks again! ha ha!

Whatever the rum, my suggestion is to make yourself a list of priorities (subject to change of COURSE!). The goal should be getting the boat in the water and haviong some fun, so I'd say focus on rudder and mast.

The, presuming you have sails that fit the sawed off mast, off you go. I have roller furling and a genoa cut for same, but haven't yet installed. Eager to get going, I decided to start off with running forward to tend to the hank-on job/genoa even though I'm mostly single-handing.

My furler is a flex-furler, not sure about its quality, but the price was right (free!).

Get yourself a good cooler and a thermos or two, then you can do without the galley for this year. I'd recommend a decent porta-potty though, especially if the rum&coke's will continue to flow!

Have fun !!!
C22 Smiley :)