New owner (22)/ new member... say HI !!

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Papax3

New owner (22)/ new member... say HI !!

Post by Papax3 »

Hey!

New to boats as a whole, and just bought a Chrysler 22. Honestly in excellent shape; great deal. Main was just way too old, will buy one at "sail warehouse" $475, unless you tell me otherwise. Jib is new. Mast - good. Hull - good, approaching bottom-paint time, but trailered; top decks in great shape (was kept out of sun for most of it's life: NO spider cracking, ever-so-slight crazing at scant "abuse" points). It tended to list to starboard when I put in, and it took a while to realize that the foam in the starboard cockpit seats was holding water. So here's the good news: I evacuated all of the foam in the seats, and the hull remains as hard as a tank. The plywood inbetween seat/ storage was glassed, with zero sign of rot. The plywood-?-floor-underlayment-decking (sub-liner)- also glassed, also zero rot. So if you are wondering about the hull going soft related to "foam problems".... very, very, very unlikely. Up towards the starboard bow seat/area, I'm removing that foam as well... it seems to go underneath the bow storage area though. If you have any information about the extent to which foam was used in these boats I would greatly appreciate any info. I think the seats are the only area where there was foam, and I want to know if it also goes lower than that, directly beneath the flooring sandwiched between inner-liner and hull. I'm thinking it doesn't, so far. Again, my hull was hard as a rock. For those who debate "foam removal", I will say this: in evacuating the foam, the water was mostly held "low"/ gravitationally, but also ANYWHERE the foam touched the fiberglass (much like capillary attraction). I realize now... that probably ANY product coming in contact/ layered next to ANY hull, will likely keep/ wick water, and just hold it there. The first three inches of foam where foam-touches-hull is where the water is held, the center mass was simply dry. If you don't mind work, it wasn't too bad to get rid of, it did carry a good amount of water (probably coming in from the toe-rail) and I think it will likely rid your boat of a resin-y type smell if you remove it... very pungent.
The inner-liner is a sandwich of fiberglass with a honey-comb cardboard core. The cardboard was stable, but suffering water damage: but only on the sitting/ horizontal surface of the seat (where water vapor could rise and permeate). Hull...again... really I'm vulgar impressive... thick hand layed matting and weave: you'll never see them built like this again. The transom (thank God) was made completely of glass. I consider the hull virtually indestructable - exceptions being impact damage, and .... hideous neglect. I appreciate the "round" construction of the top-decks, because I can hear lots of micro-flexing going on when I walk on it, and it tells me that it is built like the inner-liner (fiberglass-honeycomb cardboard-sandwich). The "roundness" will undoubtedly help structural integrity, where a flat top-deck would clearly breakdown in the same amount of time. Next thought centers around my Keel, and guessing it's just time to do it, too. NOTHING else could go wrong with my boat, short of that. I will probably make the metal templates myself... would be nice to know the thicknesses of metal, and the diameter of the rod.

Whew!

I talk too much.
I've heard you guys are incredibly supportive, and I can't wait to make some long-standing friendships here. Happy sailing when tha' weather breaks! Message Posted 01-27-2011.
:wink:
Bill Williams
email: whwthor@yahoo.com
We're just about finished with refurbishing our Chrysler 22, she's slipped, and ready for fun!

Lake Quachita, HotSprings Arkansas
Bill Williams
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Welcome aboard,

The foam isn't for support so removing it shouldn't cause any structural problems. It was intended as flotation to prevent the boat from sinking if it filled with water. Of coarse if it becomes water logged this defeats the purpose.
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Welcome aboard Bill we are a friendly crew and it sounds like you made a great buy.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Welcome, Bill!

I've cut into my seat on the starboard side to check the reason for my listing--yep, waterlogged foam. Once it thaws this spring, out it comes!

As you'll soon learn, this site is the best!

Cheers!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Welcome aboard ship mate!

Ah your in the right place, I came on the forum as a strait up novice to sailing. I now claim rank amateur status.

As for foam, my belief is it was for flotation in a sinking, not structural as stated above.

Now as for the glassed plywood. I don't have that on my C-22. Plywood yes, not glassed. I think a prior owner did the glassing but I suppose it could be OEM.

As for a new sail, you might want to order that soon well before sailing season when the sail lofts will be real busy.

So where do you hale from? East Coast, West Coast, Mid West, Canada? Toss us a bone, we're always doing stuff together on this forum. :D Can't be helped, we are very social. But take your time if your nervous. We'll grow on you and then you'll hooked. It took me a couple months just to post the first time. Now they can't shut me up. :lol:

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome aboard Bill!
Glad to see ya here! If my feeble memory serves me correctly, I spoke with you on the phone a while back!

Again, Welcome aboard!

Scott
back2class

Post by back2class »

Great score! Any trailer and outboard for that tiny sum?. I picked one up decent shape recently for $1250 with no trailer, but good outboard and thought I was doing pretty well. Sounds like you got me beat no matter what it comes with...lol
c-22
John K

Post by John K »

I think the $475 figure was referencing the price of a new main at Sail Warehouse. I'm wanting to order one as well. My bride is not as enthusiastic about it though. :?
1977 C22: Dog House
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Welcome aboard Bill.
I beleave there is foam under the v-birth also, I also have foam in the stern on each side of the fuel locker.
I have a suspicion I have water soaked foam under my starboard settee also when I noticed condensation there last fall.
I like the idea of floation 8)
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Welcome Bill!

Think the only thing I would wish in my new main would be 2 or even 3 reef points...

Billy
skyking

Post by skyking »

Welcome Aboard Bill....
Windward

Post by Windward »

Bill, welcome to the Chrysler Cult... um, CREW!
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

I can confirm there is foam under the V-birth, I removed some to add ballast forward to offset the hunk of metal hanging off the transom :) Mine was high and dry in this location.
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Funny, when I walk to the bow, when I am solo sailing, The motor/prop comes out of the water. :shock: So I always shut the motor down before going forward when I sail alone.

Now I've lost 30 lbs. since I last sailed the Honu. Maybe I can leave the motor down and idling while I move up to the bow now, and it will still pump water to cool. :lol: So maybe I'll need to add weight to the stern now as I was sail quite level with the motor up and me sitting in the back before the weight loss! :shock:

I'm going to get to a normal weight by July 2011. I'm down 66 lbs from my all time high, which is when I bought the boat in the spring of 2008. See these Chrysler are good for you. :P That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :wink:

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Beady
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beady »

Hey welcome and enjoy. I find this group of guys are really great and full of some great ideas. Everybody on the site loves pictures!!!
Brian Eady
77 C-22
Sail La Vie
mariner

Post by mariner »

Welcome! you will love the boat and the people that you meet on the board, a great group! post pics we love them!
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

From one Bill to another...Hi and Welcome....Yes we all love pictures and posting....it really helps keep this place alive...I will be doing plenty of pics/posting come spring when I really get started on my restoration.
Bill
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

Yea, Bill, and in the meantime your avitar influenced me to subscribe to Practical Sailor. Got my first 2 copies and enjoy them!

Paul
Tranquil Chaos
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Hello and welcome, now that you have removed the wet foam are you going to replace it or use the space for storeage? The subject has come up a couple of times before but have yet to see any pics of the area after foam removal. Would love to see some pics :D

BTW, the keel pin is one inch in Dia. The plates are around 3/16", you'll be able to assertain that dimention when you remove the old ones as they sit in a resessed area.
1977 Chrysler 22
Ground to windward is dearly bought, but easly spent.