Nav Stations / Electronics

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
skyking

Nav Stations / Electronics

Post by skyking »

I would like to make a few upgrades during the off season and, after attending the US Sailboat show in Annapolis MD, this past October my head is spinning.

One task at hand is to fabricate a nice electrical panel for the light switches, battery meter etc. which would be mounted inside the cabin.

As always I do have some ideas but , I would like to hear all of your thoughts as to what works for your boats.I know that there isnt a lot of electronics on these boats, but maybe some different ideas as to placement & materails that function and look good. ( After all it has to look good :D

I plan on re wiring all of the lights as well as adding a few additional ones.
mariner

Post by mariner »

Working on the same thing right now, actually started months ago but time has been an issue,anyway check out my progress so far, I have made new shelves and vinyl fronts, custom shaped to fit my needs, I am planning on locating the battery switch on the panel behind the winch.

1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
skyking

Post by skyking »

Very nice...thats exactally what i had in mind...Although I was considering using wood??
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Here is my attempt at an upgrade. Well really the last owner put in the panel but never wired it. I wired it right after buying the boat and I really like it.

This located on the starboard side sitting on top of the decorative railing for the storage shelf just under the rear window. All the wires come in from the aft section of the boat from under the Starboard Lazerett.

(Double click to enlarge)

I like Mariners better but I'm not changing it now as it works fantastic and other tasks are higher on my to-do list.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

I put mine just below the shelf in the inner lining near the cockpit door just before the inner lining turns back flush with the outer hull. Some of the wiring already runs through this area and for me at least it is still just in reach while not taking up any usable storage area. I'll have to take some pictures later today.
Last edited by Banshi on Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
skyking

Post by skyking »

These are all great Ideas...keep the pictures coming :D
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Couple of pictures showing where I put my power panel and electronics.
Kevin Dreher

Post by Kevin Dreher »

mariner, i really like the look of the white, what type of fabric did you use on that. looks sharp.
get n lost
mariner

Post by mariner »

banshi, I like the location of your VHF, (and radio - to late for me now!) I am going to mount mine in the same place, however I am going to make a custom bracket/backing plate for the winch and use it to attache the vhf to, i'll post pics when its made. Kevin, I used white vinyl from the local fabric store, the thickness looked to be very close to the original, I replaced the foam backing.

1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
Beady
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beady »

Did you guys see the swing -out bracket for gps on pg 67 (nov/dec 10) issue of Good Old Boat? I just got a fish-finder/gps for Christmas and was looking at mounting options. Crap now I saw the cool panels that you guys are building and it looks like I will need to put more thought into this.
Brian Eady
77 C-22
Sail La Vie
mariner

Post by mariner »

Yes, I saw it, my c22 had a version of that that the PO made out of multiple aluminum links to hold a depth finder. It was mounted with a vertical stud off of the shelf. It's a very nice solution, I was planning to mid it in the future when I get a plotter/fishfinder , I'll dig it up and post pics. This set up is a lot nicer than what was posted in the magazine IMHO.
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Here's what I did,

For my GPS I used a RAM mount:
skyking

Post by skyking »

Bhacurly, Now that has my attention...

Thats what I love about this forum...Thare are so many ways to skin a cat so to speak :D

What is the function of the toggle switch on the right side ? I was thinking about adding a on/off switch to my battery guage so that it isnt constantly draining power..

As of right now I'm hauling the battery home for an occasional visit to the battery charger, but thats another project...for another day..Maybe a solar panel in the near future?
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

The forum rocks :D

The switch has 3 positions, off, voltmeter, and on. The VHF Radio, motor, and GPS are hardwired w/ fuses so I don't need to turn them on with the panel switch. The panel does the mast lights, interior lights, cigarette charger for cell phone and other accessories...

Billy
sailbob2

Post by sailbob2 »

Here's what I got for CRYSTA Used black Starboard to house the electrical panels and meters It's hinged so I can access the wiring behind. Oak plywood bulkhead holds the VHF, Stereo, Brass Clock, Barometer and Weather monitor - The shelf is my Nav station (you can see my nav laptop on it)

Sorry about the mess
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

Great job. Love the woodwork Showed the 1st mate. she wondered if our's will look like that. I told her to keep dreaming.
Do you print those West Marine coupons or are you just a real good customer?Is that a '69 Plymouth out the window?
Clair
sailbob2

Post by sailbob2 »

Actually the wood work wasn't all that hard just careful measuring and cutting - You know measure 5 - 6 times cut once - then go out buy more wood and do it again right - LOL

As far as the coupons they came with my Boat-US towing package unfortunitly you have to spend a fortune to save 10% I can save that by just ordering from the companies on the internet even with shipping charges.

Oh yeah that's my neihbor across the channel here at the Yacht Club it's the same body as the Road Runner don't know the year - we have a car show here in Au Gres, MI every summer and that's his baby.