home safe and sound.....

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Kevin Dreher

home safe and sound.....

Post by Kevin Dreher »

well, it was a white knuckle drive home, hoping that the aged tires and bearing would make the journey with out problems. they did just fine, even with three to four inches of ice in the bottom of the boat....which is not cool. but overall the boat seems all there and in good shape. lots of cleaning and polishing ahead of me. i am going to try and get it in the garage tomorrow hopefully.

the swing keel brackets have some rust...but i think there are going to clean up nicely. i am planning on pulling the boat off the trailer, dropping the keel and starting working on it. i think putting a small plug in heater in the boat should melt all the ice. i hope (not a heated garage) but i am going to see if i can get a wood stove in the garage to heat it up for work.

no pics yet but soon.

kevin
get n lost
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Kevin Dreher

Post by Kevin Dreher »

thanks for the info...so far i have had zero trouble with the trailer bouncing around on my while moving about the boat. could be all the extra ice in the bottom of the boat. but i'll keep it in mind. thanks agian
kevin
get n lost
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

WELCOME HOME!
Glad you got here there safely!

A thought on the ice, maybe a quick run to a car wash? Most of the "You" wash type places have a heated spray coming out! I've used them to unfreeze car suspensions after driving in deep snow.

Also, as Alan noted, blocks under the frame of the trailer will make it more comfortable to work on and don't forget to block the frame behind the tires too! It does not show in Alans photo but I bet there is another jack stand there! IF you do not put a stand behind the axle or balance point you may get a nasty surprise one day! :)

Again, congrats!

Scott
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Glad you got home safe Kevin and as we have said before we are a Chrysler family. I on the stands use something else as my boat sits on the lawn and stands would sink I put the wheels on 4X12X6' and use 6x6x12 cribbed up double so I have a 12X12 pier under both sides behind the wheels and shim to level side to side under the bow I have a tree that was cut 24" long and is 18" in diameter.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

I have made some jack-stands (of sorts) out of left over treated lumber that give a good 12" x 12" foot print that does not sink in the turf.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
Kevin Dreher

Post by Kevin Dreher »

thanks for all the good info and pics. i am having problems with the boards that go into the living area. they do not fit in the slides very well. the bottom board goes allmost to the bottom of the v channel. the second is about in inch above the lowest one and the top board rest a little uneven about a half in higher on one side causing the hatch to not slide all the way shut. has anyone had a problem like this or know a good fix. do i need to adjust the boards with cutting and sanding or just make new ones. thanks again for the info.
kevin
get n lost
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
Kevin Dreher

Post by Kevin Dreher »

thank you it is a good looking boat..haha. and the trialer seems to be in really good shape. i believe the hatch boards are original....but not totally sure. they have the 45 degree cut in the bottom of the boards. the guy who sold me the boat told me that he offered his kids half the sail price if they cleaned the boat up.....they never got it done. when i picked the boat up the hatch boards where not in place very well, one was laying in the sitting area, and the other two where in the slides all crooked. i wander if sitting all crooked cause them to get out of shape....also i wonder in all the ice in the boat is causing the boat to flex causing the boards not to fit right......i guess i will have to see when i get in the garage and thawed out. thanks again for the info...
kevin
get n lost
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Check the boards carefully! They fit in a very specific order and direction!!! Do not just cut them yet!

First clean the slide rails or slots the boards slide into! Make sure there are no added screws, rivits, dirt, garbage, and such in the channel the boards fit into.

Next take the smallest board or narrowest board because it will slide into place first. Be sure to install it narrow side down, seems obvious but check it anyway. NExt make sure that on the same board that the top has the 45 degree slope sloping away from the interior of the boat. Picture water running down the slope. It should go towards the cockpit and NOT the interior.

Now take the next smallest board and do the same untill the largest board is on top and last.

If ANY of the boards are upside down or even flipped backwards you will experience the none fit issues you have described!

After checking, double checking and TRIPLE checking all the boards position and fit and you STILL can not get them to fit, then MAYBE I'd consider cutting them.

Please check and recheck before any cutting. I bet you just might be surprised!!

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

EE's boards were (are) somewhat cupped, and unless they are put in carefully and precisely I wind up with enough board sticking up to prevent the hatch from sliding shut.
Kevin Dreher

Post by Kevin Dreher »

cutting the boards will be my last option....i am going to get the boat in the garage then start tinkering with things. thanks agian for all the info. i am sure there will be more questions in the future.
kevin
get n lost