Checking keel pin

Post All Keel Topics Here
clair hofmann

Checking keel pin

Post by clair hofmann »

This past July our son was visiting us in NC. The 26 hasn'tleft the dock for 4 years because I hve been aprehensive about the keel pin. I have never had the boat out of the water . I have been going to do a trailer conversion but other projects always jump ahead.

We were looking at the remains of a topping lift wondering if we could use it to lay the boat on its side. we positioned the boat at the edge of the creek then ran a line from the topping lift to the hitch on the Jeep. I had my wife drive the Jeep while son and I watched the boat go over.

We had emptied the boat of all the stuff. Once over, we tied the boat off to a tree and put the keel down to prevent the boat from self righting.

The keel shoes were in good shape and the pin appeared to befull diameter from what we could see.rudder seemed sound with all attachments secure. Did'nt change the downhaul/uphaul lines, should have! After my anual barnacle scraping we inspected the hull. It was smooth with no sign of blisters. The keel also was smooth with no sign of heavy rust as I expected to see. At some time, someone must have spent some time working on the bottom.

Found out the deck hull joint leaks. Not really surprised. finished up the inspection and stood the boat back up and bailed buckets of water out. After that we felt more confident about taling her out sailing

http://picasaweb.google.com/10570348534 ... directlink

If this works, sailing pics to follow
Clair
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

Great pics Clair You need to let me know when your here in Oriental haveing
that much fun. we are around the oriental marina this weekend untill monday night.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Nice shots careening your baby! Alos did I see a Sunfish in the background? Sweet!

Thanks for sharing!
Scott
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
monty

Post by monty »

interesting to see how it sails with that 'modified' rudder!
Messing About
78 C26D (I added the 'D' cause it's got the Volvo diesel!) #490
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

Monty
She sails fine with the modified rudder except, Remember me saying I should have changed the downhaul line during the Keel pin inspection? That would have ment getting changed and a trip into town to West Marine. Well it broke and we wound up sailing with the rudder in the up position.

Shark
Yes that is a Sunfish. Now that I can post pics, wanna see more of the fleet?
Clair