Amazing day...quick finish.

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
amayotte

Amazing day...quick finish.

Post by amayotte »

Hello.

I guess yesterday would be called the last day of the season for me. I decided to go out in really high winds and high waves and it has cost me a little. However at the same time I have gained more than lost...I think.

The winds were high 20's. I think the airport registered close to 50 km/h.
The waves were as high as the side of the boat, which is new for me.

I learnt that no matter what weather a guy is in you must use at least a rags worth of jib if you want to pull yourself through the waves and tack.
I learnt that the motor is useless in waves that size and you have to rely on your newly practiced sailing skills to get home.
I learnt to tie myself to the boat cause when your healing 15 degrees and sailing 2 to 3 knots with no sails up yet its gonna be a wild time.
I learnt that my beautiful boat can reach 7.4 knots.
And I learnt that a 30 year old original main sail isn't made for that kind of wind anymore. The leach tore about an hour into the sail and I spent another hour sailing home with the jib.

All in all I get a new mainsail, unwavering confidence in myself and my boat, and a summers worth of great sailing memories.

Thank you all for the great advice and help and I hope everyone else has had the wonderful summer that I have.

Adam
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Sounds like a day well lived !
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Adam

Your last sail of the season sounds like one for the books and I'm sure the experience gained priceless; but for myself... sadly I'm to much of a wimp to put myself under those conditions intentionally. :shock:

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
Pandora (for now)
kokezaru

Re: Amazing day...quick finish.

Post by kokezaru »

amayotte wrote:Hello.

And I learnt that a 30 year old original main sail isn't made for that kind of wind anymore. The leach tore about an hour into the sail and I spent another hour sailing home with the jib.
Adam
Hey Adam,
One thing you might want to figure out is why the sail actually tore. Was it actually the leech that tore, or the luff? Was the sail properly adjusted and flat enough for the wind? Was it flogging when it tore?
Certain stresses can rip a brand new sail, so those observations will help protect the new sail you get it.
--Richard

'77 Chrysler C26 "Imori"
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

AWESOME!
Sounds like a fun day!!!

Scott
amayotte

Post by amayotte »

Ya it was a good day, and it felt good once all was said and done.

kokezaru,

The sail was definitly flapping like mad but no matter what I did it wouldn't stop. And yes it was the leech that tore. It tore on a stitch. I think I need a traveller cause as I would harden the main sheet to put tension on the leech my boat would heel excessivly. So i needed to be able to harden the main while keeping it tight to the wind. I think it's called blading.
I guess I could have used the boom vang but I was getting nervous climing all over the place...she was really rocking.

Does that sound right?

Adam
kokezaru

Post by kokezaru »

Adam,

Yes, you are correct, a traveler would make all the difference, and the use of the boom vang definitely would have helped. Flapping is the #1 killer of sails.

I am not sure of the term "blading", never heard of that one. But you definitely want the sail flat like a blade in strong winds. Did you have the main reefed? Is so, the reef point on the luff needs to be tight to the boom. Some boats do not have that set up properly, and even with the boom vang on, and use of a traveler, you would never be able to tighten the leech enough that it stops flapping.

You might consider taking your main in to a sail loft and see if they think it is repairable, it would be a lot cheaper than buying a new one. (it might even be worth it to have it repaired anyway, as a backup.)
--Richard

'77 Chrysler C26 "Imori"
amayotte

Post by amayotte »

Thanks for the info, very helpful.
I think I will do just that and then I will have a backup in case that happens when I'm far from home.
Any ideas on an affordable traveller?
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
monty

Post by monty »

You can talk to Paul Gray @ Northern Sail Works http://www.northernsailworks.com in Winnipeg about the sail repairs.

Sounds like a great sail - remember- 'What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger!
Messing About
78 C26D (I added the 'D' cause it's got the Volvo diesel!) #490