More pics of Keel install in C22

Post All Keel Topics Here
Jmckamey

More pics of Keel install in C22

Post by Jmckamey »

Hey to all. Here are more pics of keel install. Still need to touch up bottom paint where stands were in the Imageway.
FranS

Post by FranS »

Very nice work
John K

Post by John K »

Thanks for posting. This job is not too far over the horizon for me, and you are giving me ideas. My current plan is to block up my trailer, remove the axle, and cut a piece out of the center cross member to gain access, while leaving the boat on the trailer. When the job is complete, either welding the crossmember back in, or creating a bracket to bolt it back together (which would allow for repeated access if it is needed in the future). The only unknown is if the other two cross members will handle the stress while the center one is cut. Any thoughts on this idea are welcomed with open ears. Thanks again!
1977 C22: Dog House
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LeatherneckPA »

Dude! There is no way I would be cutting a crossmember on the trailer that's going to cradle my baby on the super-slab at 65 mph! I say block like he did and pull the trailer completely out of the way.
Iron Mike - Semper Fidelis
Jack of all trades, Master of none
1978 C-22: Believer
John K

Post by John K »

Ah, a good weld is stronger than the original steel, so I'm not really worried about the highway stress. It's the sitting in the driveway part that I'm wondering about.
kokezaru

Post by kokezaru »

Hey John K,

I think it would be bad to cut your crossmember with the boat on the trailer (It may be under a load).
I needed to work on both my trailer and my boat in my driveway, so I built a small structure to hang the boat.

You can check out some pictures on the thread here:
http://www.chryslersailors.com/discussi ... php?t=1010

I can pull my trailer out from underneath as needed. Unfortunately, my C26 has been hanging there for nearly two years, though I think I am finally ready to take her down within the next month.
--Richard

'77 Chrysler C26 "Imori"
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Hello! It is really easy to lift the boat onto a set of stands, and I dare say faster than cutting on the trailer. It is also a good time to address trailer issues like paint and fresh bunk boards if needed. I built my stands from about $50.00 worth of lumber and blocks that I bought from a guy for .50 cents each. Now, I had no intention to use these stands for most of the summer, so I'm extra glad that I glued and screwed everything together. I have double safties on the front and aft stands. I have the boat stablized on both sides. I can climb aboard with no worries and have done so many times with company.
To get the boat off the trailer start with the stern. Place the boat where you want it, lower the tongue of the trailer to the ground then place your aft stand ( pre-measured and built to conform to the hull) in place. To the bow you go. I did this job with one small car jack, but it is better done with a bottle jack as there is no rolling around. Place the cross beam between the trailer frame and bow setting the ends on blocks. Walk the boat up in elevation placing additional blocks under the cross beam as you work from one side to the next. Elevate one block at a time. When I set my boat I made sure to tap the blocks to seat them as I loaded them up. I had to remove the bunks to pull the trailer out, but I planed to paint anyway so no big deal. You could lift the boat far enough to advoid this step. When the trailer was removed I added a center support under the bow cross beam and blocks with a bottle jack under the stern support which act as safty supports. Very comforting to the mind when you are lying under the boat.
Well, that's the way I did it.
John K

Post by John K »

Thanks for the input. I will look into one of those methods instead. I didn't realize the stands could be set up for as little as $50. Budget is extremely important to me, or an unhappy admiral would result. Thanks!
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Yea, Just bought 3 2X6X10's glued and screwed togeather, about 4 2X4X8 studs and some scraps at the house leftover from previous projects. Never throw away scrap wood. LoL . One thing I did forget to mention is I set two peices of 4X4 cut to form a V on the cross beam and drove landscaping spikes thru them to help keep the boat from rolling. I think you can see them in the pics. Jeff
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

I got mine out and in with the boat on the trailer, nothing cut or removed. you just need to get it jacked up high enough to get the keel to clear the trunk. I jacked mine up at the transom with a custom made seat built on a 4x6 set up on blocks.