Probably not a new question

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
sharps4590

Probably not a new question

Post by sharps4590 »

This sailing thing is a lot like any other hobby I have....just goes from bad to worse, in a good way.........I think.

Ok...I've been sailing the Bucc this summer and discovered that I like this sailing thing....more than I should. Sooo...we went up to a little lake, 'bout 260 acres, very near my home town and bought a lot so I could have a bigger place to sail. They aren't expensive there. I paid $1000.00 for it. Soo...now that I've sailed on a bigger lake nearly all of you probably know the next inevitible step. Yes....need bigger boat and bigger lake. Which brings me to the question....sorry I took the long way around the barn.

What do I want guys? Here's my thoughts. I believe nothing smaller than a C-20 and probably preferably a C-22. Did Chrysler make a 24 footer? It has to be centerboard and trailerable with a 1/2 ton pick-up. The lake I'll most likely end up on is about 3 hours from here and I'm just not going to buy a 3/4 or 1 ton pick-up to tow a boat. I've had both 3/4 and 1 ton pick-ups before and they simply are no longer in the equation. Does the C-22 have a head? That would be nice for the wife....well, me too. What can anyone tell me about the galley and sleeping arrangements on a C-22? Are we going to feel like sardines?

The lake is, I believe, about 30,000 acres and that ought to be plenty big enough to entertain me for the rest of my life. Oh...as my youngest son now lives about 5 miles from Lake Michigan is the C-22 big enough to take out on it should I decide to trailer it up there? Can two people step the mast on one? Can they be reasonably easily singlehanded? What else should I be asking other than the obvious condition questions of whatever I may find? Thoughts, opinions and preferences greatly appreciated and welcome.

I'm more than likely going to have to sell one of my vintage sports cars to finance this so if anyone is interested in a nearly all original 1974 MG-B in very good condition or a 1981 Alfa Romeo Spider in a fairly well daily driver restored condition ask any questions that come to mind.

Oh...and sorry I haven't been on much the last several weeks....work load has been pretty hefty....for which I am eternally grateful....and just maybe the fly fishin' has taken me to places I also love.

Vic
There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

Vic you should come buy my C-22 Me and the 1st mate did 13 outtings consisting of 2 and 3 nighters with everything to make it enjoyable.

We had 41/2 people hanging out on it and eatting meals. My 6'5" brother in law felt a little cramped. but its size make it great if you need to trailer,
( hey guys I'm still not sure a C-26 full keel is trailerble) :lol:

I have all lines comeing to the cabin so solo sailing was easy, but its always more fun with crew.

The 1st mate and I stepped the mast on our C-22 and C-26 with ease, Capt Scott have a link showing how to di it solo.

I now the C-22 would be great for costal sailing here I don't think you would have a problem anywhere.

I spend most of my time in the cockpit or on deck it always has the best views.
skyking

Post by skyking »

Hey Mario..

Can you post some pictures of how your lines are routed to the cock pit? I feel the need to do this after our little mishap a month ago...I can see the benefit of being able to drop the sails without going up to the mast.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Hi Vic,
Looks like Mario covered most of your questions.

About trailering the C22 with a 1/2Ton truck.

I now tow mine with a Ford F150. Had been towing it with a Ford Explorer 4ltr 6. The F150 is a lot longer wheel base so it feels better. It is a 4.2 ltr 6 with tranny cooler 355 gears. Tows very nicely!

The C22 is a very capable boat. She can likely handle way more weather and seas than her average crew can.

When buying, take a seasoned sailor with you if possible.

Look for soft spots on the deck. Large spongy areas when walking are structural issues that can be resolved but personally I do not feel it is worth the work or money. I prefer sailing vs fixing.

Have the seller fully rig the boat for you. Sea trials are a good excuse for this. Many sailboats are sold to unsavvy buyers and a lot of the boats are missing a lot of items. A sea trial will at least show if she leaks , if most of the necessary parts are there, and also give you a chance to check her out!

Run a rag up and down the shrouds and stays. ( the steal wires holding the mast up ) If the rag snags and catches the wires need replacing. Do not do this bare handed!!!!!! You'll get cut wide open!

Look for any signs of leakage inside around the rudder post and the keel pin. If you can, check out the keel pin brackets under the boat. look for severe corrosion.

These plus all the obvious things to look at will give you a pretty fair shake at getting a decent trailer sailor short of getting a professional survey.

If you have any further questions, feel free to contact me or get my cell number form my website and give me a shout!!

Scott
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LeatherneckPA »

Vic, I towed Believer about 1200 miles from St Petersburg Fl to Williamsport PA with a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. My truck came with a 5.8L engine and a factory tow package. Cruising up I-95 at 65 mph was no problema. In fact, I towed up US 17 from Fredericksburg VA to Winchester VA and up I-81 through Harrisburg without any problem either.

So, yeah, a half-ton can definitely do the job with a C-22.
Iron Mike - Semper Fidelis
Jack of all trades, Master of none
1978 C-22: Believer
sharps4590

Post by sharps4590 »

Thanks to all of you! Keep those cards and letters comin' in....I need all the input I can get.

Vic
There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

I like that picture its a 1/2 ton f150 that towed the C-22 at highway speed like it wasn't there. I just lucked out it matched :lol:

we used a v6 mazda to get the C-22 in New York and averaged 70 mph.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Hey Mario,
How many power lines did you take out with the mast up at 70mph??
You WERE lucky!!
LOL!!

Scott
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

"If it wasn't for power lines" no I make sure there are no powerlines when the mast is up. BUT......

I did hear about someone with a C-20 hitting powerlines and knocking the boat half off the trailer. Didn't really bring it up to embarrass a possible group member. but things happen.

It wasn't my idea to drive 70, lol I get passed by smart cars driving to the coast not towing a boat. The mazdas owner was an big truck driver and acted like it was normal. and even with the mast down it seems powerlines make me nervous, even after truely sailing under the powerlines at the lake dozens of times.
kalamazoogal

power lines

Post by kalamazoogal »

The lake we were sailing on last weekend is so high due to all the rain
we've been getting that we were not able to join our motor head friends
in a cove we often go to. There was a lot of jeering and such but I wasn't
sure if we'd fit under the lines or not. With our full wave marine band
radio antenna on the mast top we need a pretty good amount of clearance.
If it'd been a bridge I would've just let the spring bend but power lines are
a different animal entirely. Better to live to sail another day.
KalamazooGal 1977 C-26
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

sharps4590
The C22 should fit the bill for the two of you.
The first mate and I did out first overnight last week, and it was great.
Couple little issues we ran in to...You should move the head (self contained) for the night, since it is stored under the v-birth, makes for convience during the night.
Keep extra stove fuel on the boat, I just rebuilt the stove and thought it was good to go, but I have a small leak some place and when we went to make dinner we where out of fuel, so we had more cheese and crackers.
First mate did comment that she thought that the v-birth on the C22 is larger than on our friends C&C 34 :shock:
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

I consider the power lines at my marina lot a security device, as long as I keep the mast up no one can tow my boat away with out cutting the power to the marina 8)
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place