Keel steel

Post All Keel Topics Here
Jmckamey

Keel steel

Post by Jmckamey »

While grinding rust off on my keel last night I couldn't help but notice the surface seems to be a lot softer than I had expected. This leads me to one of two conclusions; 1) the keel is so rusted that the dammage penetrates deep or; 2) the keel is some type of alloy that is more dense and softer than mild steel. Anybody notice the same while reconditioning their keel?
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Yes, I noticed that there seemed to be a more solid chunk of steal where the cable attaches, I assumed that the keel may have a back bone of steal and cast iron around it.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Think I agree. Just did not realize cast was so soft.
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Just did not realize cast was so soft.
Brittle might be a better word..............
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

After I had mine sandblasted I tried to drill out the pivot pin hole area and put in a bushing. The hole was getting oblong at the ends from wobbling... I quickly dulled 2 new special bits I bought and was glad I rented a heavy duty drill, cuz I think I ruined it, and I eventually gave up. It was definately harder steel than I was equipted to handle.
sauerleigh

Post by sauerleigh »

I noticed that when I remove the shackle from my keel that the mounting area seemed to uniform for just cast iron and also seemed to be too thin in section to safely carry the load of the keel. I did think much about it at the time. I worked for a company that made equipment for the steel industry, when we still had a steel industry, anyway, we supplied cast iron rolls that we about 24" in dia. and cast around a 3" dia. steel shaft that was machined after casting. It is quite possible that the keels have a steel backbone running from the pivot to the cable attachment.
1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never
amayotte

Post by amayotte »

Can anyone tell me what shackle pin diameter would fit in the keel pin hole.
I am going to replace the shackle but don't know how big I can go and am unable to measure it.
I am thinking either 1/4 or 5/16??

Thanks,
Adam
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I have my old one at home, I'll measure it tonight, can't recall offhand.

I thought that this great article on Windward's site would have that info, but it appears to be the only thing not mentioned. Unless I missed it.
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

I can measure the hole for you as my keel is still on the ground. Just waiting for new keel brackets now.
sauerleigh

Post by sauerleigh »

The shackle I removed has a 5/16" pin, a little over 1 inch wide and about 1 1/4" from pin to bail. The pin was safety wired to the shackle. The cable is 3/16", about 8' long. The thimble gave out.
1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never
amayotte

Post by amayotte »

Thanks, that's awesome.
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

5/16 hole in my keel.