Man O War rudder mount question

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
jflorance

Man O War rudder mount question

Post by jflorance »

I'm new to this forum but I've had a Man O War for about 15 years. Recently I discovered the top two screws on the plate that holds the rudder mount had worked themselves loose. I cannot figure out what they were anchored to on the other side of the transom.

Does anyone know what is on the other side of the fiberglass?

John F.
Sleepy Hollow, IL
Chrysler Man 'o War owner
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome aboard John!

I sure someone will come alng and know the answer for you!!!

Nice shot of your sailboat too!!

Scott
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

Ahoy John, and welcome to the forum.

I had this problem when I first acquired Seachele. Sorry, I really meant to post a "How To" out there with pictures, but I kept getting sidetracked.

So, here is what you need for this repair...

(Qty 1) 6" deck plate and appropriate number of stainless steel panhead bolts, nuts, and washers.
(Qty 1) Small tube of Marine silicone
(Qty 4) 1/4" hex bolts (don't recall the length)
(Qty 8 ) small 1/4" washers
(Qty 4) Large fender washers with 1/4" opening
(Qty 4) 1/4" lock nuts

1) Install the Deck plate first before installing the Gudgeon so your forearm doesn't get all cut up from the fiberglass edges around the hole. The Deckplate should come with instructions and should be centered on the deck between the transom and cockpit.

2) Once you have the deck plate installed trace around the gudgeon (rudder bracket) in case the holes need to be patched and drilled smaller.

3) Remove the gudgeon.

4) If holes in transom are larger than 1/4", patch with Marine putty and redrill. If holes are smaller, just drill them out to 1/4"

Note: that the original holes in the gudgeon were #10 in size, but I could not find stainless #10 hex head bolts, so I went up to 1/4" and enlarged the holes in the gudgeon.

5) Reinstall the gudgeon. Add small 1/4" washer to one bolt and fit it into one of the top openings in the gudgeon and through the transom. Add some marine silicone to the bolt just before you slide the bolt all the way in.

6) On inside of transom add some more silicone to the bolt where it comes through the transom and then add a fender washer, smaller 1/4" washer, and lock nut. Tighten until snug.

7) repeat steps 5 and 6 for remaining 3 bolts.

8 ) Make sure gudgeon is plumb and then tighten the lock nuts completely.
Lee Hoeppner
Boat: C-15 Man-o-War
Name: Sea'chele
Year: Pre-1973