Smelly Subject

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
OldUgly

Smelly Subject

Post by OldUgly »

I have done allot of work to the interior and made a few needed repairs to the keel cable and rudder. Interior looks 100% better than when we got her last June.
I have purposely put off working in the head area for obvious reasons, but with a wife and two kids I find myself having to get the port-a-poty a functioning component. Last summer's rule was to not used it unless of emergency. The dock where I keep the boat now does NOT have a pumpout station.
First, I've never had a port-a-poty on a boat, so what chemical do you guys use to prevent (or atleast reduce) smell? How about something from the local grocery store and not the $$$ item from Boat US.
Second, what other advice can you give to make this area useable for the lady of the house?
The head has a solar vent in it which keeps it fresh when resting at the dock, but even resting water will begin to smell. How about bleach in the port-a-poty? That should keep it mildew free.
-Thnx
NoRush

Post by NoRush »

I like the AquaChem liquid holding tank deodorizer. It's got a nice minty smell 8) I buy it at camping world, but I am sure that you can find it elsewhere. I don't believe in giving W.M. any money for items I can get somewhere else cheaper.

I dump the port a potty at the marina after every weekend, and I have had no problems with head smell on the boat.

Jason
S/V Astraeus
Gus

Post by Gus »

Same here, I like that chemical too, makes everything smell nice :) No problems with smell so far. Just make sure the trap door in the potty is doing its job, a good seal will not let smell come out. I also like to lubricate the gasket with vaseline.