How do you remove the windows?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
bryan

How do you remove the windows?

Post by bryan »

Hi all, I tried to pull the windows out of the C-22 recently for some cleaning and touching up but found that they wouldn't come out. I really wanted to just force them out but didn't know if I'd be able to find replacements if I broke them so I held off. I removed the screws from the window frames on the outside of the boat and thought that would do it but...nope, they wouldn't budge so at this point I'm wondering how to remove the windows. Are there two parts to the window frames one on the outside and one on the inside that snap together? Here are some pictures of the windows on my boat - both inside and outside.

(By the way, how do I get a picture to show up right here in the forum rather than a link as above???)

Any info would be appreciated! Thanks.
Last edited by bryan on Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monty

Post by monty »

I have the same problem. The sealant must be holding the frames in place. I was going to try again this spring either using some heat or pulling a piece of wire through the sealant to cut it. I am hoping to put new Lexan in but I'm worried the rubber seals are shot.
What have others done?
Messing About
78 C26D (I added the 'D' cause it's got the Volvo diesel!) #490
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Once the screws on the outside are off gently pry the frames off. I used caulk putting mine back in but someone here used butyl tape as well. Just be careful not to bend the frames all up taking them off so you can reuse them.
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

windows

Post by hp18carr »

I've yet to get to mine, but you can find a fairly in depth wright up on the removal and reinstalling of portlights on E.E. web page. Slow and easy is the way to go.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
Pandora (for now)
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

When I pried EE's frames off I used one of those 12" wide tools used to smooth and trim wallpaper. On the theory that if I pried with something like a 3" inch putty knife I'd be prying over and over and thus risking bending as I went. With the longer one I could tap it in between the hull and frame and separate them with almost one pry.

Something like this one
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

The second part of the question is easy like this...

I think your doing this:

This is the page link not the link to the pic.
Right click on the pic and go to properties, Image
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com
mariner

Post by mariner »

if you are looking for replacement gaskets they can be found here...http://www.mcmaster.com/
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Any Luck??

Doesn't look like mine at all,, I didn't have sliders, and all my screws were on the inside.
bryan

Post by bryan »

I just bought one of those wallpaper tools that EE mentioned so I'll give it a try soon and let you know how it goes - thanks all.
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing