Moving the traveler

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Gus

Moving the traveler

Post by Gus »

Hey ya'll

I've been thinking in moving the traveler from the back of the cockpit to midway (companionship entrance)

Has anybody done it in the past? The main reason is that I would love to install a Bimini top. I've got sunburned one too many times, and the cockpit gets mad hot during the day, specially if there's no wind.

The traveler is right there in the middle, and I don't want to install the top way forward where it'll make it awkward to move forward to lower the sails or dock.

Thanks!
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Gus

Post by Gus »

Oh I see what you mean. Although moving the traveler on top of the companionway, I was thinking in moving it right at the entrance, you know what I mean?

The hat sounds like a good idea! At least you live in the North, the summer's over here are really really hot and humid (an A/C would be a lovely addition!)

Gus
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

AC??

Good Lord!
I have a full forced air furnace for HEAT on Destiny! LOL!

Good thing around here is the water temperature will cool the boat in the evenings for overnighters! Hot during the day and very reasonably cool at night!

Scott
Gus

Post by Gus »

A lot of the guys I go out with have A/C on board, it can get really hot down below during the summer months!
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Oh, come on, AC! :roll:
I have sailed on other boats that has had the traveler mounted either mid cockput or by the companion way and you either end up getting tangled in the main sheet or banging your shins as you move around the cockpit.

Another possibility would be to install a "roll bar" like some of the new big boats have and mount the traveler up high and build the Bimini off that.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
Gus

Post by Gus »

Yup, A/C. I don't need it to be honest, but it makes life so much easier aboard.

It kinda looks messy to have the traveler right by the companion way, but I don't see any other way. Cruising without a bimini is torture.
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

I will admit that two summers ago I was with the Boy Scouts at Sea Base in the keys, and the Morgan 42 we we're on had central air when in port on shore power. It did make for a good night sleep the night in Key West.
But when anchored out we slept on deck or hatches open below...but then there were no bugs either.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

Capt. bondo,
I used to work with an old salt that had a morgan 42 that sailed out of Bradenton, FL. He used to use his boat for the boy scout keys trip.
Wonder if its the same guy?
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

I have seen it done this way on some other boats but not ours, I have been thinking about the same change but I am leaning towards the top of the companion way. I am even considering incorporating it into some sort of non moving bubble cover to replace the sliding hatch with the traveler mounted on top of it.

On a side note Gus I have been doing some research on this rough running Tohatsu and have come up with these couple of suggestion;

1) Sea Foam added to every tank of fuel to stabilize the fuel and help keep the carburetor ports clean

2)To fix the rough idle clean the carburetor by soaking it in carburetor cleaner, it seems it is very sensitive to any sort of contamination.

3) Unhook the fuel line every time you want to shut it down and let it run out of fuel. Never leave it sit for more than a couple of days with out running it out first (I think this is why mine idle rough and need to be cleaned).

I have not tried tearing down the carb and soaking it in cleaner yet but the other two have made it run smother in all but idle.

I have also figured out I no longer need a engine bracket with variable heights as the motor will lift all the way out in the lowest mount position and somehow raising and lowering has become easy for some reason, practice? Now for some remote control :)