Need to tighten my life lines

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
snowbordlb

Need to tighten my life lines

Post by snowbordlb »

I went over to the storage unit today to take stock in the work that i need to do on our new boat. One of the little things that i noticed is that the life lines need to be tightened. However, there doesnt seem to be any room left on the turnbuckle. can i cut the cable to shorten it and just re-attach it to the turn buckle? can i get the tools to do it at home depot? Also there is a thin cord running from the top of the mast. I cant figure out what it could be for. It is a small cord that is tied to one of the stays at the top of the mast. The only thing I can think of is that it is for raising the mast. It is just about the right length to attach to the boom instead of using the halyard. Anyone have any better ideas or answers to my question they would be appreciated. Thanks

CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Looking at your photo,
see the eye bolt on the keeper pin? There is a nut you can loosen and screw the eye in taking up slack in the life line. Looks like you may have 1/2 inch to play with there?

Not sure about the other line you describe.

Scott
John K

Post by John K »

Regarding the small cord at the top of the mast: could it possibly be a downhaul line that someone tied off to one of the stays when they lowered the mast?
2nd generation

Post by 2nd generation »

You can also tighten the lifelines by moving them up on the bow pulpit. Mine are actually almost to the top of the pulpit rail. The jib does hit it at times but has never been a problem. Having younger kids on board I like the lifelines higher all the way to the bow.

The small line could be a topping lift for he boom to keep it up when the main sail is dropped.
Mike
(former owner of) 1975 C-22 "Mel-O"
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Could the line to the top of the mast be for running up a flag?

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
snowbordlb

Post by snowbordlb »

I don't think it is for a flag. It is tied at the top with no way to run the flag up the mast. On that note has anyone put a flag on their mast? What area is the best to install one? On the back? On the mast? Thanks
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

There are a variety of ways to fly your flag and penants.
The most common is off the starboard spreader.

The prefered method for a US flag is 2/3 of the way up the leech of the mainsail however this is one of the least ways you see.

Here are some shots of mine. Click to enlarge however you will have a new window opened and you will be whisked away to my site! :)

Lady Jo underway see the US flag on starboard spreader:

Lady Jo close up.
Since we are at the dock we do not fly the US flag while away or over night. I do however fly my Captain Scott Sailing flag.

Destiny underway.
Notice the canadian flag on top? We were in Canadian waters when this shot was taken. On Destiny I fly the US flag on a pole on the stern.
Guillaume C.

Post by Guillaume C. »

Are the lifeline used to clip on when wearing harness? If so, it should be left quite loose. For exemple a cable that is kept straigh (like the one crazy people walk on) will have a tension 300 time the load applied sideway to it (a 200 pound guy walking on a cable, the cable will have 60 000 pound of tension!). Great news is that this ratio go down quite fast, with a 5 degree angle, the tension is 20 time the sideway load. This give 4000 pound, plus the inertia of someone falling down... still not enough, but much better. If you use nylon life line, the elastic propertie of the material will help a great deal

Of course if you dont clip at all, this is all poopy, keep it tight!
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

You do not want to clip to a lifeline. They'd never hold up.
If you want to clip to the boat put in a dedicated jack line.

The life lines are only there to fool you into security. IF you need to grab on you should grab toward the center of the boat not towards the outer edge. IF you grab towards the edge of the boat onto something . . . . say . . . . . a lifeline, and stumble you are likely to right over the lifeline. If you grab towards the center of the boat and stumble at least you'll fall INWARD!!!!!

I tell everyone aboard my boats to NEVER grab the life line. Grab the dedicated hand rails on the coach top or dodger top.

Scott
Guillaume C.

Post by Guillaume C. »

EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Guillaume C.,
Yep, English is wierd enough to do that, as well as a great many other things. Although I suppose in this case we can probably blame a member of the marketing community for calling them "lifelines" :wink:

About the only real use I find for the ones on EE is I can jam a foot at the base of a stanchion and feel a bit more secure. Having snagged a stanchion on a dock I can promise you they are weak and will break right off
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Mostly for appearance and to dry your towels on if you have netting they can prevent a can of soda from taking a swim. Here in the Northeast we have even more confusing terms as we drive on a Parkway and park in a driveway.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/