installing a mast hinge plate

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
snowbordlb

installing a mast hinge plate

Post by snowbordlb »

What does the new Plate screw into on the boat? what about on the mast? do the kits come with instructions? Thanks a bunch
FranS

Post by FranS »

Just checked with my hubby. One side of the plate is bolted to the bottom of the mast. He said he had to remove the aluminum piece from the bottom of the mast in order to drill the holes to install the plate. The rivets were shot anyway so he used self tapping screws to reattach when he was finished. He used the screws from the original mast finger plate to screw the bottom half of the hinge plate onto the mast step. There were no directions as I recall.

Did you have an opportunity to see the pics on Cap't Scott's site? They should be very helpful.

Just one thing to be aware of... Make sure you don't have rot in the mast step. Water sometimes seeps in under the old mast step. If so you may have some reinforcement work to do before you can install the new plate.
snowbordlb

Post by snowbordlb »

great thanks for the tips. I checked out the pics on capt scotts page. I think i will try this sometime next month.
Thanks again