I have the opportunity to purchase a 1977 C-26 for

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
heekee

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1977 C-26 for

Post by heekee »

Stupid cheap...
The boat is old, needs to be cleaned up, needs new ropes, etc. It has been sitting on a trailer for years but it is solid... its such a shame to see a masterpiece not being used for so long, if it was my boast I would be sailing it often and sailing it hard.

Couple questions:

A) Are there any common problems to look for on the C-26

B) How do I talk my wife into it? I will never sell my mint 1980 Sandpiper.
Holiday

Post by Holiday »

Look for rotten plywood. In the cockpit floor and sides, cabin sole, under the carpet on the swing keel trunk. You should be especially concerned if there is standing water. Check the bilge area under the rear berth to see if there is water up to the cabin sole.

Soft spots on the deck are a major problem for any boat. Look for leaks around the port lights and other fittings. Especially if you live in a really cold area. water can get in, freeze and ruin the honeycomb support.

Blisters can be an especially difficult repair job.

Overall just be aware that little things like rope for the running rigging add up quickly. I am on my third sailboat restoration and believe me a cheap boat is not usually a great deal unless you just enjoy doing these projects.

Good Luck
Holiday
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

Since Randal (Holiday) has answered ? A very well I 'll give you some insight on B If she likes the C-22 then she'll love the standing room and stability + the head on the C-26. (I had alot of help from my 1st mate with that answer) :)
sauerleigh

Post by sauerleigh »

Check the rudder, the tube and cheeks can crack.
Also the mast step bump and the outboard bracket.
Some of what I found with my 1978. http://www.flickr.com/photos/93952888@N00/
1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never
Andiron120
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Andiron120 »

Chain plates on the shrouds and the compression post for the mast have also come up in previous posts as possible problem spots for the 26s.
"I feel no need to go anywhere the ice gets larger than will fit in my glass"
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

The good news with C26 faults is that they really aren't major, more like "fix-ups" or upgrades, with the exception of a soft deck which applies to any boat.

As far as swaying the spouse - we own EE for one reason. The enclosed head. I'm not kidding. That was the only thing the redhead went on and on about when we looked at EE the first time.

By the way - if you measure the initial cost of EE by the number of times the head has been actually been used the CPP index (cost per pee) is $500. :roll:
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

LOL EE that would honestly put the CPP for Shaken Knot Stirred less then $4, and I personally don't use it. we have joked about putting a womans sign on the door, well we would when we can replace the curtain. with a hard door.
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

I can't say that mine is a voice of experience, but if your heart is set on a c26 and it's not a total write-off... go for it, the fact that it has a trailer (hopefully usable) is a big advantage. In my case the c26 now in my backyard is my first sailboat and yes I'm doing all those projects that come along with an older sailboat. For me however I see this as a good thing forcing me to learn where is where and what is what. True in the end it may not save me any money, but I'll know this c26 in and out... which will do me good when I get around to learning how to sail.

We all must start from somewhere. :shock:

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
Pandora (for now)
monty

Post by monty »

if you say it's sound you must be satisfied it hasn't had standing water in it and the structure hasn't leaked weakening the core. how is the little bilge area at the rear of the keel trunk for water?
On my '78 the areas that were soft were the companionway (because of the teak strips), the cockpit sole (water intrusion through cockpit locker) and all the plywood in the sole of the locker. The rest of the interior was good although it's due for a rebedding of all ports and deck fittings - not bad for another neglected diamond in the rough!!!
Messing About
78 C26D (I added the 'D' cause it's got the Volvo diesel!) #490
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

The biggest drawback I can think of about a C-26 is that I do not have one yet. :lol: But my C-22 is very loved. :D

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

:lol: CPP index...I love it.
Mine may be in the thousands, our summer outing usally include anchoring and swimming.... :wink: :shock:
Sure makes head clean up this time of year easy :wink:
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place