Cabin floor repair what to do???

Post your inside the boat topics here
sotaboat

Cabin floor repair what to do???

Post by sotaboat »

I am in the initial stage of refitting the interior of a c26. The carpet had been removed prior to us purchasing and a neglected toe rail leak from the prior own resulted in repeated water on the floor. It appears that there has been some prior attempt at using epoxy in some spots but in general we have a rough uneven floor with wood exposed in places. My thought was to get it dried, use penetrating epoxy ( wood isn't soft but it's been wet), my question to everyone is what's the best method to level/smooth out the floor? Do I use penetrating epoxy then glass the wood area then use epoxy like a self leveler??? Ultimately the entire interior is being painted and the floor will be either plasteak or grip painted but we need a good surface first.
Gary w/C26 & LS13

Re: Cabin floor repair what to do???

Post by Gary w/C26 & LS13 »

2016 was a long time ago but it’s 2021 and I happen to be finishing up my C26 floor repair. My plywood was already covered with a terrible coat of delaminating glass, resin and paint. I ground it down as smooth as I could and built it back using polyester resin, 3 layers of glass and fairing compound. The plywood appeared to be okay. I’m almost finished. At least a full week was spent on this. I plan to paint it and add soft sand nonskid. I’ve debated whether to drill a drain hole over the bilge. I’m gonna wait. I may prefer sponging off the cabin floor rather than having a perpetually wet bilge.
brigadoon

Post by brigadoon »

Gary,
You might want to decide on a different floor finish , if dirt gets into the cabin a sand non skid finish may be difficult to sweep clean. I’ve never had one in a cabin but dirt on my deck usually takes a rinse with a bucket of water to clean it . The po of my 26 put down rubber mats that can be picked up. They seem to work alright.As far as the bilge goes it will get water in it . Having a small grate over it for inspection can help early detection of a problem with water intrusion. Just some thoughts, l’m sure there are lots of solutions to your project and the non skid floor may be just the ticket.
Rick, SV Brigadoon
Gary w/C26 & LS13

Post by Gary w/C26 & LS13 »

I used soft sand sprinkled over a coat of wet paint followed by a top coat of paint. Nice under bare feet but I have mixed feelings about it. It is difficult to sweep.