Minimum HP for a C26?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Gary w/C26 & LS13

Minimum HP for a C26?

Post by Gary w/C26 & LS13 »

My Chrysler is finally resting comfortably in its berth at my dock. However my outboard is shot. I’ve got an opportunity to get a great deal on a used, low hours, 2020 5-HP mercury 20” shaft sailpro outboard for $750. Does anyone think that this would suffice. I was hoping to buy a 9.9 but money is a consideration. I’ll never need to fight a current but motoring thru a squall could be a possibility.
brigadoon

Re: Minimum HP for a C26?

Post by brigadoon »

Gary,
The 5 hp will be the smallest outboard I would recommend. As long as you don’t have to fight currants you will be fine. If you get into a high wind situation it could be dicey depending on how much win you are talking about. Beside my c26 I sail a Mac 25 swing keel with a 4 stroke 6 hp Honda long shaft. I’ve only had trouble one time trying to dock in20 knots, otherwise it worked fine. That said there have been those on this forum that have managed with a 3 horse. Good luck.
Rick, SV Brigadoon
Gary w/C26 & LS13

Thanks for your opinion. Where I sail the river currents are not an issue. If a terrible storm caught me out I could anchor and ride it out. The river is wide but relatively shallow except for the designated channel. The truth is I only need the motor for exiting and entering my short protected canal. I longed for a 9.9 Suzuki with remote control, fuel injection, power tilt and electric start but I don’t want to spend $3,500.
Gary w/C26 & LS13

Re: Minimum HP for a C26? Update

I took the C26 out for a ride using the new to me 2021 Mercury 5hp sailpro outboard. I’m pleased to report that is was more than adequate for my sailing conditions. It wasn’t as fast or responsive as the 9.9 Yamaha with the huge high thrust propeller but that’s actually beneficial when I’m docking the boat. It’s much easier to inch the boat around with less HP. The boat motors at a comfortable hull speed at 3/4 throttle. Full throttle doesn’t seem to provide any significant increase in speed. But if I was motoring against a tide in an inlet, I’d want the 9.9.
brigadoon

Post by brigadoon »

Gary,
Glad you were able to get out in your boat.
My wife and I just returned from WA q cruising the San Juan islands. I can tell you tha in rough conditions that 9.9 hp is a real help plowing through 4 kn tides and 4 ft waves. Buried the rail getting bashed on the side a couple of times but the c26 had no trouble but those onboard were not comfortable for sure. Enjoy your summer sailing.
Rick, SV Brigadoon