Sailing?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
brigadoon

Sailing?

Post by brigadoon »

Anyone have projects, sailing ?
Gary w/C26 & LS13

Re: Sailing? The answer is SOON!

Post by Gary w/C26 & LS13 »

In a week it will be a full six months that I’ve been working part time on a full restoration of my 1978 C26. I could launch her now but I want to finish up the exterior painting, mount the replacement navigation lights and partially rewire the boat. I learned from a previous project on my 19-foot O’Day to wait till she’s in the water to replace the lifelines. The boat had a slightly different shape while sitting on a trailer than it does floating in the water. I believe that gravity was distorting the sheer of the hull. After I launched my O’Day the new, carefully measured and nicely tightened, life lines were suddenly loose. I’m going to avoid that this time.
brigadoon

Re: Sailing?

Post by brigadoon »

Gary,
Sounds like you are making great progress. If you are in an area that has high humidity I would really encourage you to install a fuel water separator. A friend of mine just took is Hunter 26 up to the puget sound. I warned him about water condensation in the fuel tank and gave him the separator I had just purchased, Alass he got in a hurry as the weather was so perfect. After about a day and a half of sailing he was motoring up the west side of San Juan Island when his outboard got a good dollop of water and quit with a 3 or 4 knot currant and no wind. Fortunately he was able to drain the carb and get it going again. I can tell you from experience it’s nerve wracking. Hope you will be able to post some pictures.
Rick SV Bigadoon
Gary w/C26 & LS13

Post by Gary w/C26 & LS13 »

I’ll have to learn how to post photos. I have loads of videos and stills of the multiple repairs I did on the Chrysler. The hull blisters weren’t difficult, just labor and time intensive. The biggest challenge was the badly rusted and stuck swing keel. Closing up the transom and installing a motor mount was a drawn out affair. Repairing the cabin and cockpit decks was a real challenge as well. Replacing the rear berth and refurbishing the two cockpit windows turned out well. I’m messing with the interior wiring and it appears that the main positive and negative cables that connect to the battery are just normal commercial THWN copper building wire. Not marine grade tinned copper. I’m actually tired of spending money on the boat so I don’t know how far I’m going with the rewiring project. Good advice regarding condensation in the fuel. Here in north Florida, fuel and carburetor problems are a constant battle on my small outboard motors.
brigadoon

Post by brigadoon »

:lol: :( Gary
Finish up what must be done and go sailing! After you sail for awhile you wil feel better about projects you want to do . I just finished a 3 year project of building flaps for my home built super cub. I know how tired you can get of working on a project that takes a long time. Go sail !