Sailing lessons learned Puget sound WA

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
brigadoon

Sailing lessons learned Puget sound WA

Post by brigadoon »

I finally was able to get out on my 26 in the Puget sound after 3 yrs of obstacles.
I have a reasonable amount of experience on lakes but almost none in an ocean environment. We launched using a tow strap without difficulty and managed to get out of the marina and spent the night on a marine park bouy and enjoyed a relaxing night. Next morning we motored over to the launch ramp at the nearby camp ground to walk the dog and have a leisurely breakfast. This was our first mistake. Sequim bay has a 9’ tide , I mistakenly assumed that a pier at the launch ramp would certainly have plenty of depth even at low tide. Imagine my surprise when I came out of the cabin after a leisurely breakfast to find myself grounded by 3” with the tide still dropping.we ended up with the drawn up rudder completely exsposed and a 7 hr wait to leave. I will try to post the picture along with several others. Lesson: always check depth time and tide table before anchoring or tying at a dock in tidal areas. Fortunately there was no wave action and the bottom was soft mud so no damage. Next episode occurred when motoring around the tiller became loose on the rudder stock, very exciting. Turns out a previous owner did some work on the rudder head that left something to be desired. Although when checked earlier all appeared correct they had apparently used lock tight or some other goo to assist the clamping. Since I always carry tools including a cordless drill I was able to make a temporary repair, otherwise we would have been in a toug situation. I would suggest everyone purchasing a sailboat new or used give the tiller or wheel system a thorough going over.when we left to come home the tiller came with us for a permanent repair. The next almost disaster occurred when leaving the bay. Sequim bay is a huge bay accessed by a small natural channel about 200 ft wide. The currant rips through at 6 to 8 knots during tidal changes. We had motored around the bay quite a bit when there was no wind and used most of a tank of gas. We were in the middle of the channel really moving when the the tank ran out , no problem I had plenty of fuel and a spare tank ready to plug in. Of course the engine which had been performing flawlessly would not start. We continued in the rip bobbing in circles like a cork until a returning fishing boat saw our predicament and towed us back in to the bay where we were able to anchor in about 30 ft of water. We have plenty of 5/8 rode and enough chain to safely anchor so that finished the day, I was able to pull the carb and clean out a good slug of water, after which the engine started first pull. 2 lessons ; don’t run your tank dry if in a situation you cannot afford to be without power and put a water separator on the fuel system especially if you boat in a humid area. Our primary residence is in co where 12 % humidity is considered unbearable and only occurs 1 month out of the year. The Puget Sound area probably never gets that low and everything sweats daily assuring that you will have moisture in your portable fuel tank. On our trip we had our 40 lb lab and had to have a way to get him to and from shore when anchored out. I don’t ave pictures but will describe the solution that worked perfectly. Pet safe makes a light weight telescoping ramp we used. I drilled holes on each side of the ramp and attached it to the toe rail on the side of the cockpit. The ramp could be slid together and swung up when not in use. To use we let the ramp down into the center of the dinghy. Hershey had no trouble getting in or out of the dinghy. There are a number of pet ramps available that may work. I purchased this one for 10 dollars at a flea mkt. A real find. ‘‘Tis was supposed to be a 3 week trip but was cut short on the third day by a family medical emergency that required us to return to CO. I have a few pictures of the grounded 26 and the nesting dinghy that I made from an old fiberglass sabot sailboat.
brigadoon

Re: Sailing lessons learned Puget sound WA

Post by brigadoon »

Nesting dinghy
Nesting dinghy
brigadoon

Post by brigadoon »

Stuck in mud
Attachments
843ED39D-0147-4009-B114-5E9BDD61729F.jpeg
843ED39D-0147-4009-B114-5E9BDD61729F.jpeg (37.09 KiB) Viewed 9768 times
brigadoon

Post by brigadoon »

Nesting dinghy
Attachments
F3ABD152-22D4-423A-AAF2-D7C4E0BFF404.jpeg
F3ABD152-22D4-423A-AAF2-D7C4E0BFF404.jpeg (34.14 KiB) Viewed 9768 times
brigadoon

Post by brigadoon »

Grounded
Attachments
E99F9FD8-FE4D-4C83-B1AF-EFD52F9C4949.jpeg
E99F9FD8-FE4D-4C83-B1AF-EFD52F9C4949.jpeg (40.67 KiB) Viewed 9768 times
CLS72

Post by CLS72 »

wow ! - glad everything worked out (could have been a very different story)... good point on getting the tide information !!
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by C22Bob »

Rick, Thanks for sharing that and for the pix. Sorry to hear after all that your trip was cut short. Bummer. I trust your next outing will be much less stressful and much more sailing :D
Gary w/C26 & LS13

Post by Gary w/C26 & LS13 »

Thanks for sharing! I’m glad the boat didn’t tip over on its side. I should probably get a water separator.