C26 trailer woes

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
brigadoon

C26 trailer woes

Post by brigadoon »

Last year during the month of June my wife and I planned a month long sailing vacation in Washington state where we keep our C26. Although I’ve owned the boat for 4 years now we have only been able to sail twice due to family situations (we live in CO ) . When I bought the boat the previous owner had just completely refurbished the trailer and all his work looked good, Since the boat had been setting for 2 years since I had last used it I decided It would be a good idea to check the bearings since It was used in salt water. Was I shocked when I removed the first wheel . The trailer had bearing buddies but the previous owner had never packed the wheel .All the bearings on all four wheels were lumps of rust. I had to replace all bearing and races to move the trailer. When bearing buddies are installed the axle hole needs to be completely filled with grease to work properly. The wheels had never been properly greased at the start so when I greased the hubs the last time I used the boat all I did was fill the bearing buddy. The wheel was probably left full of salt water in the void when I left the last season it was used The lesson - be sure to fill your trailer wheels full with marine grease unless you want to spend time and money making repairs instead of sailing.
Rick SV Brigadoon.
Gary w/C26 & LS13

Re: C26 trailer woes

Post by Gary w/C26 & LS13 »

Good advice. A good thing to check when buying a used trailer.