Changing from Outboard motor to Inboard on 26

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
BigDawgz

Changing from Outboard motor to Inboard on 26

Post by BigDawgz »

Does anyone know how difficult it would be to change from an Outboard motor to an Inboard on a C-26 ? I've only seen one inboard installation, and at the time, had no interest in what I'm contemplating on attempting. Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.
Gary w/C26 & LS13

Re: Changing from Outboard motor to Inboard on 26

Post by Gary w/C26 & LS13 »

After having replaced a partial stringer and the entire rear berth platform, I imagine installing a sail drive would not be that difficult. Rails for the motor mounts and a hole through the bottom of the hull. But what about the fuel tank, exhaust piping, engine wiring, controls? I wouldn’t even consider it. Especially with the low resale value of these almost 50 year old boats. I’d just buy a used one with an inboard motor.
brigadoon

Re: Changing from Outboard motor to Inboard on 26

Post by brigadoon »

BigDawgz
Check out skipper Dans electric motor conversion. He used the lower end off an outboard as a sail drive then installed an electric motor on the top end. You could do the same thing and leave the power head on which would make a very economical in board sail drive conversion. The cooling and exhaust would still go through the leg and you get to use the standard remote throttle and shift setup and installing the drive is similar to what you would do for a commercial unit. If you are interested search Electric motor on this forum . Skipper Dan did a comprehensive write up with pictures.
Rick SV Brigadoon