Frozen in place swing keel!

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Gary w/C26 & LS13

Frozen in place swing keel!

Post by Gary w/C26 & LS13 »

I’m hoping for suggestions on how to loosen up my C26 cast iron swing keel. I’ve got the boat chocked up and suspended above the trailer. The keel is locked in place due to the swollen and expanded cast iron in the general area around the pivot pin. The pendant is discontinued from the hoist because it is severely frayed. Apparently in the years that this boat has sat stored on the trailer - a 1/8” thick layer of cast iron has oxidized and flaked off the surface of the keel. Where the keel is slightly dropped and protruding from the keel pocket, it was easy to clean off the rusty layer down to solid cast iron. My first attempt to free the swing keel was to lift the rear of the boat enough to insert some cribbing between the tip of the keel and the trailer. I then slightly lowered the hull hoping the weight of the boat would push the swing keel back up into it’s pocket. It didn’t budge. I’m considering when I pull the trailer out from below the boat, using a sawzall and a long blade to attack the swollen iron on both sides of the pivot pin. But I’m worried about harming the fiberglass interior sides of the centerboard housing. Of course I will fully support the swing keel with cribbing before I attempt any activity under this area. The ultimate goal is to remove, refurbish and reinstall the swing keel. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
brigadoon

Re: Frozen in place swing keel!

Post by brigadoon »

Gary,
A previous forum member had to repair his keel trunk ( a major repair ) and one of the things he did was put a hole in the top of the trunk. The top is above the waterline and if you cut a 3” hole in the top of the trunk you might be able to hammer the keel down then either patch the hole or put a water tight inspection port in. An alternative might be to block the boat above the trailer and then loop a come along cable over the back end of the keel and pull it down if you can get the cable over it .I think you are in some what unexplored territory . Let us know if nothing works , maybe there will be other ideas.
Rick SV Brigadoon.
Gary w/C26 & LS13

Thanks for your input. I’ve got the boat essentially hanging from come along cable pullers attached to the boat shed structure. The plan is to pull the trailer out from underneath the boat. Add redundant cribbing to support the hull as a safety measure and then tackle the keel. I’m dreading this part of the restoration. I’m anticipating building a dolly or sled to serve as a cradle to catch and lower the keel in a controlled manner. I’ll probably use four bottle jacks
and lots of blocking to lower and raise the cradle holding the keel once I get it unfrozen. If I’d been wise, this should have been the first task I completed. The whole restoration’s success relies on having a functioning swing keel.
brigadoon

Post by brigadoon »

Gary,
Check the “ keel” topic on the home page, there are 101 posts with pictures that may be helpful. I’m sure you will eventually get the keel down. Keep the forum informed.
Rick
Holiday

Post by Holiday »

Might be clogged up with barnacles. I have seen this fixed by taking a hand saw and cutting in the space between the keel and the side of the trunk.
Gary w/C26 & LS13

Yes, I managed to scrape out old oyster shells all along the trunk down both sides. But it’s still clogged up as I start getting near the pivot pin. The trouble is I don’t have much clearance to work because of the boat still being mostly on the trailer. Once I pull the trailer out and firmly support everything, I’m optimistic I can scrape more debris out. Since flaking, expanded cast iron is also an issue, I’m considering spraying “P-Blaster” up into the trouble spot and letting it soak.
Gary w/C26 & LS13

Update! I moved the trailer out and added cribbing beneath the suspended hull. After three days of frustration trying to remove the shoes I gave up and sawed through both sides of the pivot pin with my sawzall. The keel didn’t move a fraction of an inch! It was firmly seized in place by the expanded rusty delaminating cast iron. After hours of chipping out rust I used a bottle jack and then a floor jack to get the keel moving. Up & down, up & down. Each rotation caused rust to pour out of the centerboard trunk. I’m optimistic that I’ll eventually be successful in dropping the keel out of the boat. Then I can refocus on removing the shoes.
Gary w/C26 & LS13

Success!!! The keel is out. It’s in poor shape but definitely still useable. Getting the pivot pin out will be a challenge. Lots of delaminated cast iron flaked off the surface. It needs the rest chipped off. Then a sand blasting.