Gotta replace the broken keel cable

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Gary w/C26 & LS13

Gotta replace the broken keel cable

Post by Gary w/C26 & LS13 »

I need the C26 keel cable pendant diameter and length. I’ve been searching the forum but can’t seem to find that specific information.
brigadoon

Re: Gotta replace the broken keel cable

Post by brigadoon »

Gary ,
Just search cable length on the forum and you will find the answer.
The cable length is 9-1/2 ft and the designated cable dia. is 1/4” but years of experience has shown that safety margin indicates 3/8” stainless steel should be used. Be sure to use a stainless crimp ( 2ea) fitting and thimble to make the loop and use the appropriate size D shackle. In rough waves the 900 lb keel will bounce and if the keel swings down un restricted it will break the keel trunk. Buy enough cable to make 2 pendants and keep a spare on board, some members have had to replace the cable unexpectedly. I was able to buy the items needed (in stainless ) at tractor supply. Keep plugging at the project and post pics when you can.
Rick SV Brigadoon
Gary w/C26 & LS13

Great information. I’m going to follow your suggestions. Thanks. I’m ready to barrier coat and paint the hull. I just replaced the plywood platform in the rear berth. Replacing the cockpit floor backing is next. Then comes the dreaded task of dropping the swing keel out of the boat. I need to study up on how to post photos.
Brdng154

Post by Brdng154 »

Any idea what size "D Shackle"?

Thanks
brigadoon

Post by brigadoon »

Gary,
I did a search in the keel section and found the information you were needing, one member removed a shackle from a c26 . These are his measurements.
3” long
11/16 opening
5/16 pin
Another member gave a 3“ length for their shackle no other information.
Another member indicated they were going to replace their cable with 3/16 and a 3/8 shackle

As long as the shackle will fit , is galvanized or appropriate grade of stainless and at least 5/16 you will Likely be ok. I think bigger is better!

Hope this helps.
Rick, SV Brigadoon
Gary w/C26 & LS13

Thanks! It helps a lot. The keel is next on the agenda. Logically I should have tackled it first before I fixed everything else. But I wasn’t set up yet to support the boat and remove the trailer. I’ve got my fingers crossed.
Pnwsailer

Post by Pnwsailer »

I'd love to see any pictures you take!

How are you lifting the boat? I need to repaint the bottom of my 26 next year, and potentially do maintenance on the keel as well. I'm not sure if or how I'm going to do it...
Gary w/C26 & LS13

I’ve got the boat in a temporary shed roofed with a tarp. The six posts are pressure treated 4x4s. I’ve installed eyebolts near the tops. I plan on using nylon slings and come-along cable pullers to raise the boat off the trailer and suspend it high enough to drop the keel. Then I’ll add cribbing for safety once the trailer is out of the way. I was able to do all the hull work with the trailer supporting the boat by selectively removing the 4 cradle pads one by one. I’ll paint the bottom of the keel trunk when I do the swing keel.
brigadoon

Post by brigadoon »

Way to go !
Be sure you have good lateral support.
Rick , SV Brigadoon
TBDay

Post by TBDay »

Built a A frame lift for mine with 2 1500# wenches worked really well . Only have to lift 1/2 the boat at a time
Attachments
20220214_161535_resize_82.jpg
20220214_161535_resize_82.jpg (121.62 KiB) Viewed 16547 times
77 Chry 22' S.W KS
Gary w/C26 & LS13

Well I finally managed to get the boat suspended in the air and braced fore and aft. I located and cleared the bolt heads for four of the shoe bolts. Two bolts are still hidden up inside the cast iron shoes. I couldn’t resist trying one of the exposed bolts for tightness. Unfortunately the bolt head immediately snapped off. My next step is to place cribbing under the swing keel to eliminate the danger of it falling out of the boat once I get the shoes off. My pendant is broken and only rust is around the pivot pin junction is holding the keel up. Wish me luck!
Gary w/C26 & LS13

I spent the entire day trying to drop the keel out of that boat. Out of six stainless steel 9/16 bolts holding the pivot pin shoes - one backed out without breaking. Another almost backed out but wrung off halfway up the length of the bolt. Two I immediately wrung the heads off. And two - a previous owner wrung the heads off. I then used my plunge saw to cut thru the adhesive that the shoes were bedded to the fiberglass hull with. I got thru 95% of it. But the cast iron shoes will not slide down the bolts and come off. I saturated everything with P-Blaster. Repeatedly heated the shoes with a propane torch. Best on them with a heavy hammer. Reheated, more P-Blaster, beat some more. Gave up…. Letting the penetrating oil soak overnight. Any suggestions?
brigadoon

Post by brigadoon »

Gary:
Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble. The keel and shoes are probably acting as one unit because of the rust. Others have used a saws all to cut the pin on both sides. Once this is done each shoe may be able to be shifted individually allowing penetrating oil to get around the bolts. You may still have to drill the broken bolts out. I also think if you can get a strap around the aft end of the keel (cable) you might use a come along to pull the keel down. Hope this helps.
Rick, SV Brigadoon
Gary w/C26 & LS13

I’m making steady progress albeit slow. I cut both sides of the pivot pit with a sawzall. Then I used a floor jack to force the keel to rise a half inch then I let it fall 3/4 of an inch. By endlessly repeating this process and running a sawzall blade along both sides of the keel around the pivot pin area I finally got the keel completely out of the boat. I gave up on pulling the shoes and cut off the frozen bolts, just above the shoes. Using cobalt bits and an extractor I cleared all but two of the threaded holes in the recessed threaded plate. But the two rear bolts still won’t budge. I’m busy drilling the bolt remnants out of the shoes. I managed to drill the stub of the pivot pin from one shoe so far. Definitely progress, but slow, slow, slow. “Thank God” I finally got the keel out and although it and the shoes are in rough shape, it’s still serviceable.
brigadoon

Post by brigadoon »

Gary,
If you reuse the shoes you might re drill the pin hole all the way through so it can be serviced without removing the shoes. Some have drilled it one size bigger but drilling the keel oversized is said to be very hard material. Glad you finally got the keel out.
Rick SVBrigadoon
Gary w/C26 & LS13

I’m dreading getting the remaining part of the keel pin out of the keel. So far a drift and a sledgehammer have no effect. I wonder if originally the pin was sized to rotate within both the shoes and the swing keel. On my boat it was seized up solid at all three points. That’s partly why the keel wouldn’t rotate. If I do extend the new pin all the way through the shoes, would you suggest just using an appropriate diameter SS bolt and nut? Should there be some play so that it doesn’t seize up again?
brigadoon

Post by brigadoon »

Gary,
There used to be information on both Chrysler sailing association an windwards website with photos showing keel shoe and pin replacement but they have all gone dark in the last two months. I think one member actually had a new pair of shoes made out of stainless plate and used a nut and bolt for the pivot pin. To do that on the original shoe I think you would want to machine a flat where the bolt head and nut sit . Perhaps others will chime in with suggestions.
Rick SV Bigadoon
Gary w/C26 & LS13

Re: broken keel cable replaced with Dyneema

Finally, swing keel repairs are completed. The boat’s back on the trailer.