Deck/Hull joints?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Gary w/C26 & LS13

Deck/Hull joints?

Post by Gary w/C26 & LS13 »

It seems that the standard approach to addressing a leaky hull to deck joint is to remove the toe rail, recaulk the joint and reattach the toe rail. But - has anyone ever considered fiberglassing a continuous tab of fabric over the seam and then reattaching the toe rails? I wonder if that’s a practical solution?
Erbardy

Re: Deck/Hull joints?

Post by Erbardy »

I did this too. WE should talk.
brigadoon

Post by brigadoon »

Hi Gary,
A guy with a YouTube channel ,Sam Holmes did that on a cape dory 28 he sailed across the Atlantic this year. He bought an old cape dory 28 and did a refit. You can watch the whole refiton you tube. You will end up painting the deck and the hull. It’s a lot of work but is probably the strongest and most water tight solution.
Rick, SV Brigadoon
Gary w/C26 & LS13

Yes, I’m subscribed to his channel but I haven’t watched the entire playlist. I’m finding it difficult to decide where to draw the line on this renovation. At what point would I rather be sailing instead of sanding? Also there’s the financial consideration of how far should one continue to spend money beyond the boat’s actual market value?
brigadoon

Post by brigadoon »

Gary,
Several years ago my wife and I took our Mac Gregor 25 to the Florida keys. It rained heavily going down and while we were in Pensacola for a few days and the deck leaked continuously for a few days . It made that portion of the trip very uncomfortable and I later fixed those leaks and lived on the boat for three summers while being a mechanic at a marina. Fix what you have to to be comfortable and safe , if you plan on keeping the boat for a long time upgrade what matters to you. If you are going to sell in a couple of years it is unlikely you will recover most of the funds you invest. Sail the boat , that’s why you bought it. Have fun
Rick SV Brigadoon
Gary w/C26 & LS13

Good advice. My circumstances dictate getting her river worthy. She’s never going to sea. I don’t anticipate trailering her. I’ve got a short window in time to introduce my grandsons to sailing. I’m blessed with my own dock in a protected canal with direct access to a wide spot in the St. John’s river. I’m going to concentrate on finishing up the hull. Completing the interior, which requires just new plywood and deck reinforcement in the cockpit/rear berth. Addressing the cast iron swing keel and upgrading the motor mount. She was just a bare hull but I’ve recently acquired the mast, rigging, the boom and a set of used sails. I’m really excited about seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and hope to get her in the water by late spring. This forum and the help you’ve provided is greatly appreciated.
Hammer1991

Post by Hammer1991 »

Hey Gary,

When I took my toe rails off, I found two spots where the deck actually sat behind the hull. I took my dremel and worked those spots back on the decking until they were flush with the vertical hull. My plan is to now sand the deck about an inch inwards, only where I absolutely need to, and then fiberglass that portion over the hull. I think i will fit tuck tape into the space I am going to fiberglass in the hope that it will create a barrier between the hull and the deck so that it can flex and move if it needs to. I will then gel coated over top of it and hope that it is not noticeable with the toe rail over top. If this was an issue all the way along i may be inclined to fix a bigger portion, but it is very obvious to me where the problem lies and I will just correct those two specific spots.
Gary w/C26 & LS13

Are those spots on both sides above the rear berth area? I’m seeing that the plywood backing strips are rotted inside the overlap joint on my boat. But there’s plenty of white (looks like 5200) adhesive visible along the joints. I’m considering shooting a line of closed cell foam insulation down the length of the joint on both sides to act as an internal sealer. I figure it can’t hurt and won’t interfere with recaulking from the outside if I pull the toe rails.
Hammer1991

Post by Hammer1991 »

Both are actually on the starboard side, although I did find a few spots on the other side that were somewhat problematic. I would say they appeared about 1/3 and 2/3s of the way.