Mid boom sheeting - how critical is the traveler location?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Gary w/C26 & LS13

Mid boom sheeting - how critical is the traveler location?

Post by Gary w/C26 & LS13 »

I’m adding a cabin top traveler to my C26. I can mount it exactly where the original main sheet attainments are or move it few inches forward to allow move room for entering the cabin. What’s your thoughts?
brigadoon

Re: Mid boom sheeting - how critical is the traveler location?

Post by brigadoon »

Gary
I’ve mounted a traveler with about a 3” rise on the existing pads, I have no problems with access to the cabin . Using the existing location of the blocks keeps running rigging in the location the boom is designed to sustain the loads put on it . A previous member, Windward , raced and sailed the Chesapeake bay on occasion installed a traveler in the same location with good success. Just a note of caution , modifying the boom or mainsail setup can change loads that will initiate failure if not done correctly. An example would be changing your mainsail to a loose footed installation , this moves all the stress to the outer end of the boom putting all the tension at the end of the boom loading the sail at the end without adequate reinforcement in a big blow also putting the boom in a highly stressed bending moment , much larger than if the sail is continuously attached with a bolt rope. Mods can be done easily but need to take into account all the changes in loads. If you check out all windward posts he has numerous pictures of mods he made and was very successful.
Happy new year, Rick SV Brigadoon
Gary w/C26 & LS13

Re: Mid boom sheeting - how critical is the traveler location?

Post by Gary w/C26 & LS13 »

Thanks for your input. I’m leaning towards staying with the original position. The key is to be mindful when going up or down the cabin steps.