Hot water heater for C26

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
brigadoon

Hot water heater for C26

Post by brigadoon »

4 years ago I built a teardrop camper ( from scratch ) with a galley in the back hatch. Of course the wife insisted on a shower with hot water and a sink in said galley. I found lpg tankless water heaters on evil bay for 90.00 and decided to try one . Since I was building from scratch I hung the water heater on the outside of the camper and put a protective cover on it . There is a small propane tank ( 11” x8” dia ) both units are narrower than the fenders on the trailer . The water is supplied by a 12 volt in the tank fountain pump ( also off ebay), it is plumbed with a T one side to the cold water tap the other goes out to the water heater then back in to the hot water side of the faucet . On the outlet side of the water heater there is another T , one side going into the faucet as stated the other is a hose bib that a hand held shower handle can be attached to . No water moves unless a rocker switch activates the pump , then if the sink is left off the shower handle can be attached to the hose bib for the shower. We use one of those ridiculous phone booth sized self supporting8 tents as a shower stall. The result works great. The small pump has enough pressure to give a very reasonable amount of water. The heater is equipped with an electronic squib powered by a d sized battery that turns the heater on when there is running water and the shower handle has an on off trigger so you can lather up then rinse off. The heater has a temp adjustment and can deliver very hot water it’s really nice when camping. We have been using the camper a lot in the summer and haven’t had any problems with it . The propane has not been refilled since I built the camper .The units do need to be vented outside, I plan to use it this summer as a portable unit on deck with just a small Coleman bottle for fuel. If time allows I will eventually mount it in the galley and plumb it to the head as well for a permanent installation. These units are currently available on eBay for 67.00 plus tax. I thought others might be interested having winter hot water showers available on their boats. MERRY CHRISTMAS, Celebrate the birth of Gods salvation!
Rick, SV Brigadoon
Gary w/C26 & LS13

Re: Hot water heater for C26

Post by Gary w/C26 & LS13 »

Thanks for sharing. Merry Christmas.
avidsailor

Post by avidsailor »

can you post pictures?
brigadoon

Post by brigadoon »

The new unit for the boat should arrive next week . I can get some pictures of the camper and try to post them after the holidays.
Rick SV Brigadoon