C26 anatomy

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Gary w/C26 & LS13

C26 anatomy

Post by Gary w/C26 & LS13 »

Am I correct in thinking the C26 centerboard version has two distinct and separate bilges? One in the front ahead of the keel and the second one in the rear under the companionway ladder. I’ve discovered that on my boat the area directly along both sides of the centerboard trunk is a poured mixture of concrete mixed with lead shot for ballast. This is topped with 3/4” plywood and then originally carpet. If I blow air into an access plate over the front bilge it emerges out of the settee lockers on both sides. If I blow air into the rear bilge, it doesn’t emerge anywhere. My conclusion is that water in the front bilge could theoretically make its way to the rear bilge if the boat was healed over at an extreme angle. The water would have to travel to the rear along the hull sides, under the inner liner. Am I looking at this wrong?
Holiday

Re: C26 anatomy

Post by Holiday »

I stuck a camera as far forward under the liner as I could. From what I have seen the whole keel stub forward is full of lead ballast. There is not much of a bilge there and not much of a path for water to move back to the bilge. I put a small round drain under the steps so water from a keel cable leak etc. could find it's way down to the bilge pump. I had a rain water leak in the bow that would pool up in the compartment under the vberth with no place to go.
brigadoon

Post by brigadoon »

Gary,
I did a search on all the old posts I could find regarding bilge and bilge pump, perhaps you have done this as well. One member who was on the board made a lot of repairs on his 26 and looked into the forward bilges. From what I could read I think you are correct in assuming the front v berth will not drain to the rear bilge. The side areas will drain to the rear bilge if the boat is heeled or the water gets deep enough. You might reach out to “emergency exit” if you can find a way to contact him. He is no longer active on the forum but would most likely be very helpful if you can get in touch with him. If you do come up with any good ideas I would be interested in hearing them. I installed a manual winch with a hawse pipe leading to the area under the v berth for my chain rode and will have to find a way to drain it either by getting the water to the rear bilge or coming up with a a forward pump.
Rick, Sv Brigadoon
Gary w/C26 & LS13

Post by Gary w/C26 & LS13 »

When I acquired my boat the floor was in awful shape. Apparently a former owner had replaced part of the plywood over the rear bilge and troweled some fiberglass resin over the top of it. I have put a lot of effort into smoothing out the entire cabin floor with additional resin, layers of fabric and fairing compound. I think I will finish it off using gel coat with nonskid addictive. I’m considering two separate bilge pumps, one in each bilge.