Repair help - 22'

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Hammer1991

Repair help - 22'

Post by Hammer1991 »

Hey folks,

Just joined the forum and thought maybe I could get some help or perspective on a few things.

I noticed my boat was sitting a little cockeyed in the water. The starboard side sits a little lower than the port side. I also keep getting water in my starboard storage compartment at the front of the kitchen slide, just above the keel bracket. My thoughts are that maybe that side of the boat is taking on water and it's filling up inside the hull under the tracks. Has anyone cut open the side of this and put in an access to see what's inside? I was thinking I would seal it with a waterproof inspection cover. I also wonder if water is coming in from leaks in the toe rails and running down?

I also need a new upper through hull for the rudder fitting, anyone have any good recommendations for this?

I need to reseal my toe rails and plan on taking them off, any big issues to expect?

Anyone have any experience repairing spider cracking in the gel coat?

Thanks in advance!

Tony
CLS72

Re: Repair help - 22'

Post by CLS72 »

had a similar behaviour on my 22
there is foam inside some of the interior bulkheads
if you have a water leak (typically through windows seams), water can get into the foam and get lodged there
hard to remove/dry unless you do extensive work or figure out a way to let it evaporate/dry
there is a post here where this was addressed; run a search, it should pop up easily
Hammer1991

Post by Hammer1991 »

Ahh the windows may make sense. I know the previous owner struggled a bit with them. I think I'm going open that area right up with 2 or 3 holes with removable covers and force some air through and reseal those windows to see if that won't stop the leaking.
CLS72

Post by CLS72 »

Hammer1991

Post by Hammer1991 »

Those are very helpful, thank you!
Hammer1991

Post by Hammer1991 »

So I've pulled the toe rails off and inspected the hull/deck joint and I can tell there are some issues. The lip on the deck is crushed in spots and doesn't overlap. Guess I may have to try to do some fiberglass work this year... the toe rails had unsealed from the deck allowing water to pass down into the boat.

I also cut two access holes in the bench on the starboard side in cabin, sized to fit watertight covers, and everything inside is absolutely waterlogged. I'm considering pulling all of that foam out and using it as storage or something, or if nothing else making a space to pump the water out of the low spots. And make sure it's sealed well.

Anyways that's the update if anyone's interested and has tips or tricks to keep in mind.

Thanks folks.
Gary w/C26 & LS13

Post by Gary w/C26 & LS13 »

Were the toerails difficult to remove? I’ve got to do mine on a C26?
Hammer1991

Post by Hammer1991 »

Not to bad at all. The port side wasn't leaking and took more work to peel them off but the starboard side which was leaking just popped right off as I was going along taking out the screws