Rudder raising and lowering lines?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
johnschenkel

Rudder raising and lowering lines?

Post by johnschenkel »

Hi everyone,

I'm replacing my running rigging and I would like to replace the lines that raise and lower the rudder (Sheet Rudder Head). Do I have to remove the tiller assembly and drop the whole rudder down or can unscrew the center bolt in the rudder to change the lines? One of the lines is getting frayed so I would love to change it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate.

Thank you!
John
Whabadoo

Re: Rudder raising and lowering lines?

Post by Whabadoo »

you can unscrew the center bolt
"Nebraska" is based on an Otos Indian word meaning "flat water"
johnschenkel

Post by johnschenkel »

Thank you very much! I tried it and I have access to change the lines.
John
jsa

Post by jsa »

I think it definitely helps to have two people there when installing it. One person to keep the line tight from the cockpit and another to put the rudder back in place. I did mine solo and it was a lot of on/off the boat to get it back in place.
johnschenkel

Post by johnschenkel »

That's a great tip. I'm putting a red line in for raising and a green line for lowering so I know which to pull. I pulled the wrong one last year and took a chunk out of the rudder with my prop. I went to put it all back together and realized I don't know how to run the lines once they come down the tube. My wif said, why didn't you write down how to put it back together when you tore it apart. Good question, but I didn't. Does the down line go the the bottom hole and the up go to the top hole? I noticed the horizontal bar at the top of the housing that holds the rudder. Do both lines go over that. For some reason when I tried to put it back together, both lines were the same length. I could have sworn one would be long and one would be short depending if it was up or down. Would you have any suggestions? Thank you!