Chrysler 26 water in bilge

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Erbardy

Chrysler 26 water in bilge

Post by Erbardy »

Quick question for other Chrysler 26 owners. We completely renovated our boat including taking off the toe rails and rebuilding them after caulking the deck joints. The only thing we didn’t do is take off the old bottom paint and reapply barrier coat and ablative paint. Next year.

But I noticed some water in the bilge. I installed a automatic bilge pump so that’s not a big problem but I’m just wondering where water may be coming from. I knew with some spots before the restoration and those problems have been dealt with. Does anybody else have water in their bilge and know where it comes from? Here’s a picture of the bills from underneath the afterbirth looking towards the bow underneath the cabin
monty

Re: Chrysler 26 water in bilge

Post by monty »

I had water in the bilge coming from the rear of the keel . It must have grounded at some time and the glass was very thin there. I found the leak when the boat was on the trailer and there was a wet spot that was weeping. That was a quick fix. I also had water on the sole that was coming in through the rear of the keel trunk. The trunk had cracked when the swing keel swung back sometime I guess. It had been improperly repaired and the water was leaking out from under the glass and ended up on the sole.
Messing About
78 C26D (I added the 'D' cause it's got the Volvo diesel!) #490
Erbardy

Post by Erbardy »

monty wrote:I had water in the bilge coming from the rear of the keel . It must have grounded at some time and the glass was very thin there. I found the leak when the boat was on the trailer and there was a wet spot that was weeping. That was a quick fix. I also had water on the sole that was coming in through the rear of the keel trunk. The trunk had cracked when the swing keel swung back sometime I guess. It had been improperly repaired and the water was leaking out from under the glass and ended up on the sole.
I would love to chat with you sometime. I have some thoughts to add to yours and would love to hear how you did the easy fix. Can we exchange contact information?
Zigzag

Post by Zigzag »

Is it coming from the top (rain) or the bottom (sea water)?
If it's rain, I had some coming from the transom around the opening for the engine; and some from the rudder shaft.
I found out by spending a few minutes below the cockpit during a rainfall.
Zigzag

Post by Zigzag »

BTW I can't see your picture