Keel stuck up

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
walterse

Keel stuck up

Post by walterse »

I am new to sailing and very new to owning a sailboat. We made it through mast raising on our first try, and after some problems unloading from the trailer, Nimue is in the water (with no leaks!) :D

However, we have hit a new hiccup. The keel won't go down? I'm very hopeful that this is a user error and not an actual problem. What am I missing here? I don't see any obvious stopper on the winch. I posted a few photos, and I'm starting to wonder if the nut in the 3rd photo on the bottom plate might be the lock for the winch. Thanks in advance!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ryJQFZPSH9W3PdbQ9
brigadoon

Re: Keel stuck up

Post by brigadoon »

Walterse
If the winch is original (as it looks to be ) it winds up in one direction and lowers in the other. The weight of the keel should cause it to drop as you wind down when you stop winding the weight of the keel will cause a brake pad the squeeze the drum and stop it from spinning until you turn the crank again. It sounds like the pad is stuck to the drum . Try googling locking clutch manual winch to see if you can get a look at how the unit is put together. Another possibility would be to spray it with solvent and strike it with a hammer while cranking down. Be careful not to mash any parts. Let us know how you make out. I will try to do some research , my advise is just an untried guess at what might help.
Rick SV Brigadoon
Zigzag

Re: Keel stuck up

Post by Zigzag »

I don't understand your photos. Is the first one taken from the side? If so, the axis of the first gear (the one with the handle) shows as vertical. Mine is horizontal